No heat in one room

Old 03-05-14, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat in one room

Good morning,

We have natural gas heat and I noticed last night that my son's room was very cold compared to the other rooms in the house. When I went and put my hand over the vent in his room, I noticed that cold air was blowing out. I immediately went and checked two other rooms and that air was warm. I have no idea where to start as far as figuring out what is wrong. Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 07:00 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did this issue just start? How long have you lived in the house?
What type of heating system is this, heat pump or furnace?
Do you have access to the duct work?
Is there a chance that line travels through an unheated space?

Old 03-05-14, 07:39 AM
Yes, this issue just started. It is a furnace.

I am very clueless when it comes to heating. Is the duct work usually in the attic or under the house? Either way, we have access to both. We did just recently have some work done on our master bath that required the guy to go under the house to redo some of the plumbing but I wouldn't think this would effect the heating. The only other thing we have done recently is change the floor register but again I don't think this would effect it.

We have had a very cold winter for this part of the area and it was very cold last night (in the 20's) but last month we had a few nights drop to the teens and I didn't notice it then. I am just stumped and the fact that it's in my 3-year-old's room isn't making this mom feel good.

Old 03-05-14, 11:30 AM
Maybe when he was under the house he bumped some duct work and it fell off last night. I would turn the stat to off. Then remove the register and see if it is still cold.

Old 03-05-14, 05:15 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Disconnected duct is the most likely although if you have flexible duct it could be that it has a sizable hole either from the plumber or from some animal. Sometimes you can remove the register and hold a small mirror down in the duct and shine a flashlight into the mirror and see quite a ways into the duct. Might save a trip into the crawl space for simple inspection.

Old 03-05-14, 06:39 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's not a disconnected duct if it's blowing along with the others. The issue is why is the air in that line cooling off before it reaches the room. You need to follow the duct work and make sure it's insulated from cold areas.

Old 03-05-14, 06:48 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
There could very well be an air current from a disconnected duct. It won't be blowing hard but it could definitely be a detectable air flow.