Gas furnace won't ignite

Old 03-13-14, 05:27 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace won't ignite

1. In which area you live and ambient temperatures you usually experience.

Indianapolis, IN, varies greatly but today it's in the 30-40 range.

2. House style and construction details.

Built 1930s, probably not relevant.

3. Make, model and age of equipment related to the problem.

Weatherking Model # 90RJ10EGS01

4. Fuel type.

gas

5. Water temperature and pressures of boiler systems.

n/a

6. What type of zoning do you have with your boiler system.

n/a

7. Thermostat type.

Don't remember but not relevant

----

I've had this problem occasionally for most of this winter and have eventually fiddled enough (or just turned it off and back on enough) that it'd eventually light. But not this morning.

I turn the power switch on, motor starts pulling in air, HSI glows for about 10ish seconds, then turns off. The motor stops for a split second, then starts pulling air again and will run for maybe 60 seconds. The HSI does not turn on again, and eventually the motor stops running.

I am thinking maybe it is the flame sensor? I have not yet tried cleaning it. It is not very easy to get to on this model, I'm not even sure where it is. As you can probably tell I've never tried cleaning it, I'm no HVAC expert. I just read stuff on the internet.

Am I on the right track here? Anything else it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-14, 05:35 AM
P
I opened the bottom panel and on what I think is the main board there are two LEDs. Green one labeled "Power" and orange one labeled "Flame". Power is glowing, Flame never turned on. I am not sure if it comes on under normal operation but I would assume it does...

I'm looking for the flame sensor, I've seen pictures of what it should look like and where it's located but it's jammed way back in there, hard to see much even with a flashlight.

Old 03-13-14, 06:10 AM
P
Found the HSI. I was able to remove it. It did not look very oxidized but I cleaned it anyway. Put it back in but still nothing. It doesn't seem like the furnace is calling for gas.

Old 03-13-14, 06:33 AM
P
For those still reading this exciting saga, I have heat again. The sandpaper left a little bit of dust on the flame sensor so I wiped that off with my shirt. Then I turned the thermostat off, turned the gas valve off, waited 5 minutes, turned it all back on, and finally it lit. I have no idea if any of what I did helped or if God just smiled on me but there it is.

Old 03-13-14, 08:47 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Happy for you that it is working. Normally the flame sensor does not come into play until the burners ignite. It simply "proves" the flames and lets the gas valve stay open. Be very careful with the HSI. It is fragile and the oil from your skin can cause a hot spot and premature burn out. They generally work or are bad and do not require sanding.

Old 03-13-14, 10:51 AM
P
Arg. I was sleepy when I typed that (still am). I meant I cleaned the flame sensor. I did not touch the HSI, it seems like it is fine.

I guess if cleaning that wasn't it, maybe turning the gas off at the valve and leaving it for a while made a difference? I don't know. I wish I did. Every time this happens it eventually works again but it would be nice to know the cause and just fix it permanently.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: