Carrier furnace 58STA110 does not light, Its sunday and cold

Old 03-23-14, 07:44 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrier furnace 58STA110 does not light, Its sunday and cold

Carrier furnace went out last night and this morning we are dealing with 18 degree weather outside and 57 inside, and its Sunday. Did some checking of the codes and reads code 34. I first removed and cleaned the Flame sensor, nothing. Manually lit the furnace but it would only hold flame for about 2-3 minutes and stop, code started to read 33. Decided to manually turn of the power supply to furnace and remove air filter which is about 2-3 weeks old and in good condition. Powered on and system wants to start but no flame. I again manually lit the furnace this time it held the flame and started to warm up the house to desired temp, once it turned off it doesn't turn on again. Decided to remove and inspect ignitor and clean it. Noticed a super small fault on it, resembles a crack but thought it was too small to be anything and re-installed it. Same problem, code 34 and once again just started the system manually to keep family warm. ANy advise on what may be the problem? I think I need a new hot surface ignitor and possibly new sensor. Thank you!

Old 03-23-14, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The code 33 was likely due to an air circulation issue like dirty filter, dirty blower wheel, dirty A/C coil, blocked return vents or too many closed off supply registers.

If you have an ohmmeter you can check the igniter for continuity although it sounds like yours is cracked. The flame sensor rod just needs to be well polished. A green scotchbrite pad or steel wool usually does a good job.

I've left a link to your furnace manual below as a source for you to refer to.
Docs.hvacpartners/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/58sta-13si.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: