Boiler leaking water

Old 03-25-14, 12:00 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler leaking water

Two months ago, I had a brand new Thermo-Dynamic S-85 boiler installed in my house. A few weeks later, water started leaking from the bottom of the boiler. A tech from the company who installed the boiler came out and fixed the leak. It started leaking again a couple weeks ago, but stopped leaking before the tech was scheduled to fix it.

What could have caused the leaks, and why did it stop leaking the second time around? Could the boiler be damaged because of the leaks?

Thank you.

Old 03-25-14, 12:57 PM
S
did the tech say what he did to repair it?

Old 03-25-14, 01:18 PM
A
No, the tech did not say anything.

Old 03-25-14, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
You need to know where it was leaking from to make any judgement call...

Do you have a tankless coil on it?

Could it have been condensation from the flue? Condensation can damage the boiler over time ...yes.

Could it have been the relief valve? Joint leaking?

Old 03-26-14, 06:50 AM
A
Thanks, lawrosa. I will be contacting the company today and ask them to send a written response as to why my boiler was leaking, and also stopped the second time around. If it starts leaking anytime soon, it's probably safe to assume the boiler could be a lemon.

Old 03-26-14, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
If you can take a few pics that would help just to see..

I did a boiler last week in farmingdale..

Just to ask, your oil right? Tankless coil installed? Most everyone is gas now there, but I know there are a few oil hold outs....

Old 03-26-14, 07:58 AM
A
Since the boiler isn't leaking at the moment, I don't know how useful pics would be.

Yes, the boiler is fed by oil, and it's a tankless coil, too. The original cast iron boiler that came with the house had been converted from a coal furnace. The Weil-McClain I just had replaced was probably about 25 years old.

In order to install a gas furnace, a line would have to be run from the street paralleling the north side of the house (which is probably a good 60-70 yards). I'm not interested in dealing with that just for a furnace. The hot water tank is electric, and I have a propane tank on the side of the house for the stove.

If you installed a boiler in farmingdale, you must live somewhere in Monmouth County. I'm in Freehold.

Old 03-26-14, 10:24 AM
R
The utility company would run the line to your house....you may care now, but when that fuel bill comes, you'll have a big smile on your face. Anyone that has the opportunity to convert to gas but doesn't is absolutely crazy IMO.

Old 03-26-14, 12:33 PM
A
Thanks RD, but I guess I'll just choose to remain absolutely crazy. The last thing I need is the utility company sending some lowest bid contractor to dig and run the line, especially after what happened at that condo complex in Ewing earlier this month. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 03-26-14, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
The gas company will run the line to your house and set up the meter at no charge usually... You just need to hook a gas appliance up with in a year....

Old 03-26-14, 01:33 PM
A
Thanks to everyone for your responses. But, if work has to be done on the gas lines for any length of time, (see article below), I know I won't have to worry about my family and I freezing to death in our house.

1,600 in RI to be without natural gas for 2 days

WESTERLY, R.I.

National Grid says crews are going to door to door in Westerly to close off natural gas meters of 1,600 customers as it works on a distribution problem.

Utility spokesman David Graves says crews worked through the night and had secured about 800 meters by roughly 7 a.m. Thursday morning.

Gas could be shut off in the area for two days or longer. Graves said officials were still trying to determine how air had gotten into a part of the distribution system, leading to reports of extremely low gas pressure midday Wednesday.

Once all the meters are secured, the company plans to re-pressurize the system, then go back to every affected home and business to relight pilot lights.

Graves says more crews are expected Thursday from around Rhode Island and Massachusetts

Old 03-26-14, 01:37 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
lawrosa,
I'm in MA. Called gas co. last summer about hooking up gas. Area has gas but do to code they have to run knew line, about 75 ft.
They wanted $5500 up front to bring the new line to the house and you had 5 yrs. to hook up an appliance or you would have to pay it again.

As was explained to me. They are so busy now they don't care if you o it or not.
There WS also a warning. They do the digging for the pipe and backfill. All landscapping and anything else that gets ruined you're on your own.

Old 03-26-14, 01:46 PM
A
Thanks for the straight dope, Spott. I appreciate it.

Old 03-26-14, 02:30 PM
R
Well if you don't mind spending $4K on oil every year, then stick with it. But oil companies also have problems. Up in north jersey one of my customers was without oil for a week. Needless to say, they're switching to gas.

Old 03-26-14, 03:34 PM
A
$4K every year?! I don't spend that much. In the 40 years that I've been in the house, I've never had a problem with oil. Perhaps your friend was waiting to have a new oil tank installed? One things for sure, by using oil, I will never be a victim of our crumbling infrastructure. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind.

Old 03-26-14, 03:57 PM
A
BTW RD, tell your friend that if he ever runs out of oil, he can make a few trips to the gas station with some YELLOW fuel containers, fill them with diesel fuel, and then empty the containers into his tank.

Last edited by almosthere; 03-26-14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 04:58 AM
R
Piece of mind? Lol, going out to the gas station in the middle of the night when you run out of oil is piece of mind? You need to put politics away for a minute and make a smart decision. I pay less than a dollar for 100k in btu while you're probably paying right around $4 for every 140k. You do the math. Higher fuel costs and much more maintenance required for your beloved oil heating. In the 5 years I've been in my house, I replaced my HSI for $20. If it was oil.....filters, nozzles, cleanings. No thanks.

Old 03-27-14, 06:18 AM
A
As I said, I've never run out of oil. You can find plenty of articles online about recent gas explosions blowing up houses and killing people (like in Ewing), gas turned off for days so that crews can replace crumbling pipes...I'm not worrying about the math since I have a well-paying job. I think that by using oil I'm, more independent than a neighborhood who relies on gas. If I do run out of fuel, I can go down to the gas station 24/7 for fuel. What options do you have?

Old 03-27-14, 08:39 AM
R
Out of the millions of home that have gas you talk about one explosion. You ever hear of oil tanks causing a 6 figure cleanup job? Thats more likely to happen than your house exploding. But hey if you want to donate your earnings to the oil companies, thats on you. I just hope you have an above ground tank and not a 60 year old underground tank that could cost you big bucks in removal and cleanup.
What's your annual oil bill if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-27-14, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
I believe we are getting off topic from the original post..

The OP had a leak and the contractor needs to fix it. Or state where the leak is coming from and what was done to repair it... Yes the boiler can be damaged down the road if its not addressed on what the actual cause was/is.

This is not a gas vs oil debate. Everyone has their opinion even if one disagrees with the logic behind it...

Just dont want it to get out of hand... remember be respectful to each other...

Old 03-27-14, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
So what was the final outcome of your boiler? Did you get feedback from the installer?

Old 03-27-14, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Thread closed....

I will also edit comments out as needed...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: