Ruud Furnace ugph-10ebrjr no heat and flash codes

Old 04-16-14, 08:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ruud Furnace ugph-10ebrjr no heat and flash codes

I have a Ruud UGPH-10EBRJR furnace. About 7 years old.

2 months ago the flame would come on and run for anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 or 5 minutes. Go off and come right back on. Typical dirty flame sensor so I cleaned it. I had paid the original installer to do it last season and watched them do it. Took him 2 minutes to do without even removing it from the furnace. So this time I did it myself. When he did it, problem went away. When I did it, the problem did not.

So, I assumed that the dirt build up was too thick this time. Removed the sensor to give it a better cleaning. Still did not fix it. So I searched around and found the part at a local parts house for less than $10. I replaced it and problem was gone for a while.

Last week the problem came back. Would run for random amounts of time. Go off and immediately light up again. This happened for a few days. I did not immediately go to look at it as the heat was still working. But now the furnace does nothing.

Diagnostic steps. Turn the temp up on the thermostat so that the heat will come on. The LCD tells me the heater is running. On the furnace nothing happens. The inducer fan does not start running. The gas valve does not click. The igniter does not come on. All is quiet. After a few seconds the lights on the system board will start to flash. Right Green LED stays on solid all the time. Middle Green LED is the one that flashes. Flashes 4 times, pause, repeat 4 flashes, over and over. The left LED, the amber one, never comes on.

Typical spring time weather here in Georgia, warm during the day to need AC and cold enough at night to need heat. The AC runs fine during the day. But at night the heat is not working. The thermostat is new. Had an old mercury one that was nowhere near accurate on the temps. Was just a guessing game on what temp it would actually trigger at. So I replaced it with a new Digital one with an LCD Display when I replaced the flame sensor 2 months ago. Since the display shows that the heat should be running, does not seem to be a thermostat issue. Especially since the system is flashing the error codes.

So, anyone have a Ruud Manual to tell me what the 4 flash code means for this particular model of furnace? Seen some Google Search that says it could be a pressure switch or a an igniter error. Hopefully someone can tell me the exact code chart for this model furnace.

If it is the pressure switch, wouldn’t the inducer fan come on first before it gives the error? Or, could the fan be the problem?
Oh, last item. When it first stopped coming on when I went down into the basement to look at it I turned power off, waited 30 seconds, and turned it back on. It started working again. But it did the run for a few minutes, go off, and come back on again. Ran that way for 2 days and now power cycle has no effect.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-14, 08:34 AM
Check the inside of the bottom cover, should have the codes there.

Old 04-16-14, 08:35 AM
Re-read the Sticky Post on what info is needed.

Gave the model and make already. It is a Natural Gas Furnace. House is a Ranch with full basement. Furnace is in the basement. Sitting on concrete floor. Stands Upright.

Location is Georgia. High Temp today is 60. Low last night was 34. Over the weekend the high was in the 80's.

Old 04-16-14, 08:39 AM
Is there a good source for an online manual to look up the code? I am at work and wanted to get an idea of what parts might be needed so I could purchase it before I went home tonight.

I do not think I would attempt to replace the Inducer motor myself due to a poor seal could cause carbon monoxide leaking into the basement. But if it is the Pressure Switch, that is an easy and safe part to replace.

Old 04-16-14, 10:19 AM
Try giving a tap on the pressure switch. 4 blinks on most Rheems is closed pressure switch. When the cycle ends, it's supposed to open, then close at the start of the cycle. Replaced a few over the years, mostly on the older ones.

Old 04-16-14, 11:36 AM
Thanks Tinmantu. Light tap, or whack it pretty good? Don't want to be too timid with it and not dislodge the stuck diaphragm, but don't want to break it either!

Old 04-16-14, 03:36 PM
Use the handle of a screwdriver and just give it a gentle rap or two. If that's the problem, that should be enough. Save the sledge hammer as a last resort.

Old 04-16-14, 04:36 PM
That worked. Fired right up. Ran about 3 minutes. Flame went out, but blower motor continued to blow. Once blower went out the inducer fan came back on and it lit up again.

Could the pressure switch be causing both symptoms?