York Diamond 90 - Burner lights then shuts off (flame sensor)

Old 04-17-14, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 90 - Burner lights then shuts off (flame sensor)

There are some older posts about the York Diamond 90 (and other furnaces) turning off within a few seconds of lighting. The same thing happened to me, so I wanted to post that the old threads did help and show a picture of where exactly the flame sensor is on the York Diamond 90 for those who have the same issue in the future. If this is technically a double post, feel free to delete it.

I first turned off all power to the furnace. The flame sensor is attached with one screw, which I removed. The location is shown in the attached picture. The sensor then slides up and out. I took a very fine metal file to the metal end of the sensor to remove the fouling. Once it was nice and shiny, I cleaned off any remnants with a shop towel. I think I read you shouldn't touch the sensor with your hands because of grease. Not sure if that's valid, but I tried not to touch it anyway. I put the sensor back in. Turned power back on to the furnace. The flame came on, stayed on, and my house got heat again.

Even if this isn't your root cause, it's so easy to do that it's probably a good first stop. Hope this helps.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-14, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, also it doesn't hurt to clean it yearly to head off problems.