GE Forced Air Gas Heater help GE 21LG pilot lighting!!

Old 04-25-14, 04:51 PM
GE Forced Air Gas Heater help GE 21LG pilot lighting!!

Hello i would love if someone could help me light my pilot on my old GE 21LG that i had to shut off because i had to change a leaking shutoff valve. Its an old furnace but it works very well and i made sure that the heat exchanger was still in good condition when i cleaned out.. The last time i cleaned it was about three years ago and just making sure i dont make any mistakes.. Any help will be appreciated>> Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Is that furnace around 45+ years old

There should be lighting instructions right on the unit.

Normally the furnace valve is set to PILOT, the pilot button gets pushed down and you manually light the pilot. Hold the button down for 30 seconds before releasing. If the pilot goes out.... hold the button down and relight it. After the pilot stays lit you turn the valve to the ON position.

Since you had the gas shut off it could take several good minutes for the air to purge out of the gas line.

Old 04-29-14, 02:46 PM
GE Furnace

Thanks for the help it was very easy.. And yes the furnace is old but seems to work like a champ.. It warms the house easily and not very expensive.. I did make sure that the heat exchanger is not cracked and i have a carbon monoxide detecter about five feet away..

Old 04-29-14, 03:17 PM
If you have the CO detector close to the furnace, say in the basement, move it to the living area. You will get very little CO around the furnace, if any.