Question on New Gas Boiler Wiring

Old 04-29-14, 07:24 AM
Question on New Gas Boiler Wiring

I just converted from oil to gas in my area. I have a question regarding the wiring to the thermostat.

The old oil burner was wired to a 110v wire which consisted of 2 wires.

The new gas burner is now being wired to a 24 v wire which also consists of 2 wires.

I wanted to install a new thermostat that I can access from my computer via wifi etc. Ex: Honeywell Wifi Thermostat.

These are wired much differently than what I have, and also require a C wire. I do not have any of this. Is this something I should also have changed over?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-14, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
The difference between the old oil system and the new gas system is great but the wiring isn't too difficult. At the very least you'll need three conductors from the furnace to your thermostat.
If you are going to run a new t'stat line..... run extra wires for future use. Run a six conductor cable.

What is the make and model of your new gas boiler. We can check to make sure you have the needed C connection.

Old 04-29-14, 11:42 AM
It is a burnham 80% efficient. I will check tonight for the exact model for you and post here. Thanks

Old 04-29-14, 04:58 PM
This is a Burnham Series 2 Boiler using two separate wires at 24 V. I am not an electrician/plumber so if you could break this down simpler than normal that would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-29-14, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Did they run new t stat wire> You will need 2 wire not two if you want to get a C wire to the new t stat...

Old 04-29-14, 07:00 PM
I am not sure what any of that means. The plumber did not run any new wires. This is what I know: The original oil system thermostat was connected to a 110v wire. He disconnected this and put a wall plate on it (said I can hook up a generator to it in case of emergency later on). He took the wire that was running to the current boiler shut off switch, and he ran the new thermostat to that wire which is 24 volts. There are only two wires going to my thermostat. I would like to be able to install the nice honeywell wifi thermostat which also needs a C wire and mentions other different colored wires. Any help would be great, thanks.

Old 04-29-14, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... you need a minimum of three wires for a Honeywell wifi thermostat. So you'd need to be prepared to run a new cable from your furnace to your thermostat.

What control box does your boiler use. Could be a Honeywell L8148, etc. Some boiler controllers have provisions for a C connection.

For me to look up the type of controller your boiler uses... I need the complete model number which can be found behind the burner access door and in the burner area.

Old 04-29-14, 08:04 PM
Thanks for your help. The model number I found is: 204NCL-GEI2

Old 04-29-14, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Look over the following manual and see if it's your unit. If it is then you do have access to a C connection.

Burnham boiler.PDF