Furnace Operation Question

Old 04-29-14, 04:11 PM
Furnace Operation Question

Hey Guys. I have a question for you. I just moved into a house recently and I don't know if my furnace is running properly. I have my heat set to 72 and the heat comes on at 72 up to 3 times an hour. The temp never hits below 72. Is this normal behavior? Seems to run way too much. I have changed the thermostat 2 times and every one has done the same thing. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-14, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even if your furnace is sized properly for the house's heat loss on a cold winter day, now that the temperature is warming, your furnace is oversized. If it is holding the set temperature, it sounds like things are doing what they are supposed to.

Old 04-29-14, 06:23 PM
Thanks a lot! It will put my mind at rest.

Old 05-01-14, 04:43 PM
It sounds like the house is dropping in temperature quickly. I would also consider the insulation and any air leakage that could be causing the unit to run often. It sounds like the unit is doing its job.

Old 05-01-14, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm guessing unit has programable thermostat? If it is digital it's a programming issue refer to user guide programming thermostat. There are cut in cut out digital settings. Stat has to be programmed for proper operations. If mercury bulb type remove stat cover. Look closely you will see a tiny metal arrow on temp adjustment lever. This is a heat anticipator move arrow point to 2.5. This will extend run time and take temp up a degree above setting not to allow short cycle. Go thru home and direct all grill vents toward outside wall. You want to heat/ cool area not your body. If vents directed on you then yes when cycles off you will be uncomfortable. You direct air across room entire room will warm up or cool off.