American Standard / Trane 90+ Gas Furnace Vent Pipe loose

Old 05-01-14, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
American Standard / Trane 90+ Gas Furnace Vent Pipe loose

I have an American Standard 90+ Gas furnace in a well ventilated (unheated) attic. It has been running well for the past 9 years and still works fine. I was just up to install a new filter and noticed that the vent pipe had come loose. This type of furnace is vented with PVC pipe.

My question is, does anyone have experience with installing the PVC to the furnace. The furnace has a black plastic looking piece that the PVC pushes into. The PVC has purple primer on it but that may not mean anything.

Specifically, is this a connection that I can use standard PVC cement on? Should this be cemented in place or is it just a press fit? If it is just a press fit I may use some type of external tie down to hold the pipe into the furnace.

Thanks for any help. I am attaching a photo. For now, I just pushed the PVC back into the furnace and it does not seem to leak.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-14, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found the installation manual. The manual specifically states that this should be cemented in with RTV which will hold it but still allow it to be pulled out if necessary. It looks like the problem with the installation is that the pipe is not quite supported properly and it had a tendancy to pop out.

The solution will be the RTV and a slight modification of the pipe supports to ensure the pipe is held in place properly with no tendency to pull away from the furnace.