smelly 1950s Built-in gas space heater

Old 05-02-14, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smelly 1950s Built-in gas space heater

In my small Jack & Jill bathroom in my 1950s home is a built-in gas space heater. I moved the home here from another property. I do not think they reattached the gas to the heater. The whole time I have been in this home the bath has had a gas smell but not a natural gas smell it smells like sewer gas. I have checked the bathroom vent pipe on the roof for clogs. The smell definitely seems like it is coming from the heater. When you lean down toward the heater the smell is the strongest. The smell is also very strong in the linen cabinet built-in above the heater.
How can I test that the gas is not attached? If no gas attached can the smell really be coming from the heater? Can I just remove the heater?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  27.0 KB
Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  19.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-14, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If that bathroom is on the first floor it would most likely be connected thru the cellar.
If you have no access from below then you will need to remove the white cover from the heater to visually inspect for a gas line.

It looks like there are two fasteners holding the cover on and a lot of paint. You may need to use a sharp knife to score the paint line.

Old 05-02-14, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
It is very possible the heater is still connected to the gas supply. Disconnecting and properly capping the line is work so it's often overlooked. You may have a slight leak so no smoking in the area.