Bad flame rollout switch want to bypass to run fan for AC

Old 06-20-14, 09:47 AM
Bad flame rollout switch want to bypass to run fan for AC

The board in my Goodman furnace failed about 5 months ago. I replaced it and it ran for a while, now there is a light blinking 6 times, which is an open flame rollout switch. This furnace has two of them. It is June and hot here and I need to run the AC. I have ordered a new switch. Can I bypass the bad switch and run the AC this way Temporarily? The heat will not be on at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-14, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
Shut off the gas first.

Did you try to prove the rollout was open before ordering a new one?

Old 06-20-14, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the reply and the question. No I didn't try, I just went by the label on the inside of the panel. It said that 6 flashes of the LED is an open rollout switch. A replacement was only $14 so I went ahead and ordered one.

It would be nice to be able to turn on the AC by going around the switch temporarily. It would give us cold air and I would also know that it actually is the switch. I am hoping it is not a bad board giving me a false reading.

Old 06-20-14, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
You should look for the roll out switch as some of them have a reset button on them.

A tripped roll out switch is a serious problem so don't put off until the fall to find out why it tripped.

Old 06-21-14, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
I'm with PJmax. A tripped flame rollout switch could be a symptom of a cracked or rusted through heat exchanger. This is particularly dangerous as it can allow carbon monoxide into the home. My biggest fear about temporarily bypassing the roll out switch is that once the AC is working fixing the furnace will get pushed off and forgotten.