fresh air intake

Old 07-07-14, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fresh air intake

Hi was hoping someone can explain this to me.I have a HF keeprite furnace the house was built in 2001.I have a 6 inch flex insulated fresh air intake that comes in along the joists and runs down to the floor and then goes half way up the cold air return like a J i guess to bring in fresh air to help with cumbustion.I also have another 6 inch flexable insulated duck that runs from outside into the cold return about at the half way mark in the cold air return.My question is isnt that make making my central air work that much harder as i am bring in all this humid air directly into the cold return in the summer?thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
When you run a kitchen or bathroom exhaust fan the house can get into a negative pressure causing it to draw outside air through the chimney, any unused exhaust fans or cam lights. The idea of the fresh air duct is to place this outside air in a location that will allow it to get addressed by the HVAC equipment before entering the house.

It is good in principle and required by code in some locations.
I put a damper on the duct and shut it. I also often add a 12 x 12 filter box to them.

I would still cap it if I had one on my house.