Furnace Not Level

Old 07-09-14, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Furnace Not Level

Hello,

This past weekend my Tempstar gas furnace that's located in the attic of my two story stucco house (spanish tile - built in 2004-05) started leaking. I'm in Vegas, and it's normally very hot and dry, but the past few years we've been experiencing the 'monsoon season' (never experienced this while growing up here). Which means that each afternoon we have storms roll in (reminding me of Florida, where I was stationed one or two times). I'm sorry, I don't have the model number. Anyhow, a friend of the family (who's an HVAC tech) came by to clear the drainage (it was partially clogged), but he said that my furnace wasn't level. He said both of my pans were bone dry. He, unfortunately, doesn't have the equipment for this, so I'll have to call someone out.

I have a digital thermostat that I, usually, keep between 79-80, but with the increase in humidity, and the issues I'm having, I've set it at 84, which kills me while I'm upstairs.

I went and bought a ladder of my own so I could climb up there and use my wetvac to clean up any residual water. While I was up there, I could hear water dripping while the unit was running. I checked the pan and saw some water (just a tiny bit). I found the area on my ceiling that was wet (I could see about 3/4" water that had seeped into the wood beams), but there was no standing water, so my wetvac was useless.

Anyhow, my question really is what do you know of issues with furnaces that aren't level? According to our friend, he said it's a common problem in Vegas because there usually aren't any problems with humidity. He said he's seen this more and more (the issues with the drainage) because the increase in humidity levels over the past few years.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-14, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where does the pan drain to? Is the pipe clean, and dripping?

Old 07-09-14, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
Are you certain you water leak is from the AC and not a roof leak?

The AC unit can operate out of level it's a question of where the condensate drains. If it's not level the water will go to whatever is the low side which may not be where the drain is located. Generally the catch pan underneath the coils does not have much pitch and the external catch pans are usually flat so it does not take being out of level by much to cause the water to go somewhere other than the drain.