does lett oil run dry hurt a furnace

Old 08-01-14, 04:38 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
does lett oil run dry hurt a furnace

a friend was told that since her tank is dry, even if she fills it today, she must wait a week to turn it back on to 'settle' things. they said running it now would cause damage.

i'm of the belief that while crud may stop the flow, the filter will catch the crap at the bottom of the tank. an i dont see what waiting a week will do.i think he just turned off the furnace to evict her for non working furnace. he said that in his letter to her.

and now the landlord unilaterally adds a clause to the contract that it must be above 1/4 at all times. i didnt know you can just add things to a signed contract. must be a new thing ?

Old 08-01-14, 05:54 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
You can't add things to an already signed contract without signing it in as an addition, accepted by both parties. However, she really shouldn't let the tank run dry.

Fill it up and try the furnace. Might need to bleed the line to get it running again.

Old 08-01-14, 07:26 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
it isnt really dry. they put kero in 5 gallons at a time for hot water. landlord wants 1/4 tank at all times aparently

so how does it damage a furnace? when i had oil i remember it wont run more than a few seconds without flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: