How to turn off this old wall heater pilot??

Old 09-24-14, 04:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to turn off this old wall heater pilot??

Hello,

This is probably something really simple but I can't figure it out.. All I'm trying to do is turn off the pilot light inside our new apartments wall heater. I have the thermostat turned all the way down but I still feel heat coming from the heater so I just want to turn it off. I tried searching all over the internet and watched some Youtube videos but every website I go to has a different wall heater and valve than mine..

The wall heater in our apartment is a Holly and from what I can see there is only one valve to turn.. it's labeled "MAJOR CONTROLS" and it only rotates 90 degrees from a ON position to a OFF position. Of course I tried rotating it to OFF but nothing happens. The pilot stays lit and I've left it in the OFF position for about 5 minutes and nothing changes.. I can still hear the gas even though I turned it to OFF. Is there another valve or something I need to close outside of the apartment? Here are some pictures I took. (I apologize for the links, I tried inserting image but it told me the pictures are too big)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psd8a80b4d.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...pse6a360ad.jpg

Here's what it looks like in ON position
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...ps90161a12.jpg

Here it is in OFF position
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psa8ac64d0.jpg

Please let me know how to turn this thing off as it is heating up our living room every day! Thanks in advance!
-Drew

Old 09-24-14, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums...

Your first 6 or so posts may be moderated and need approval. This is usually due to photo insetion and such. Trying to weed out spam..

A pro will be with you shortly to help you with your issue.

Old 09-24-14, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Looking at that valve it should turn off the gas and pilot... Leave it off longer.

Let us know...

Old 09-26-14, 08:35 AM
D
Thank you for responding lawrosa, sorry for the delay my wife and I were out of town yesterday. I will try leaving it in the OFF position today and check back on it periodically to see if the flame goes out then let you know.
Thanks.
-Drew

Old 09-26-14, 09:26 AM
S
Hi Drew, yea there should be a valve on the pipe that is leaving the regulator . It could be outside the furnace cabinet. The valve you are closing is on the outlet side of the gas valve. IMO that valve should be on the inlet of the gas valve.

I took a closer look at the pics, in the second pic I see a shut off valve just to the right of the regulator.

Last edited by skaggsje; 09-26-14 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-26-14, 03:23 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Follow the pilot tubing from the pilot back to the B-60 gas valve and you will see a B-valve on the the bottom of the gas valve, turn until pilot is off

Old 09-26-14, 03:28 PM
M
The valve you show in your pics is a burner valve not pilot valve. Also check the first pic you posted. The pilot valve handle is facing toward the rear.

Old 09-26-14, 05:01 PM
D
YES! Thank you so much everyone for the help! Mbk3 you were right! I followed the tubing and it was a very small valve behind it, it only turned 90 degrees but that did the trick! The flame finally went out.

Should I also turn the "MAIN CONTROLS" valve to the "OFF" position or does that even matter? Thanks again so much everyone for the help I really appreciate it!

Old 09-26-14, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Major control not main control as that's no main valve.

There should actually be a shut off valve just before that unit for servicing. I've never seen a valve inside a heater on the OUTLET side of a gas valve.

If you aren't going to use the heater it couldn't hurt to turn that valve off.

Old 09-26-14, 08:38 PM
D
Oh yeh sorry I meant major controls not main..

Ok I'll turn it to the off position as well. Thanks everyone so much for the help I really appreciate it!

Old 09-27-14, 11:50 AM
M
Actually it is on the inlet side of the gas valve

Old 09-27-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It's not on the input side of the gas valve. That aluminum 3/8 or 1/2 line is the feed.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 23352
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 09-30-14, 07:24 PM
M
Please review the picture again, the regulator is before the gas valve and the aluminum supply tubing goes to the main shut-off or line valve. Look at the B-60 valve and you will notice the pilot tubing is on the inlet side of the valve and the the piping from the outlet side of the B-60 goes to the burner orifice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: