No Oil Fed to Filter After Filter Change

Old 10-13-14, 06:39 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No Oil Fed to Filter After Filter Change

Hello All - First time poster, long time viewer. I *think* this is going to be an easy one, I just can't figure it out. Here's the scenario.

1. System was functioning perfectly before I touched it
2. Turned Firomatic valve to the closed position located just before the filter
3. Opened the canister and changed the filter
4. Turned Firomatic valve to open position, no oil feed

So, the only possible thing I can think of, is that air got into the system during the filter change and any oil that was in the line back-tracked its way back to the tank.

The Oil is fed from a tank inside the home on otherside of the basement. The line starts at the base of the tank, makes its way vertically upward to the ceiling, across the basement ceiling and back down to the filter which is seated low to the ground. There is a tigerloop installed after the filter (but that should have nothing to do with my issue).

I have not yet started the system, because to my knowledge, there is nothing in the system that will drawn the oil from the tank and I don't want to turn the system on if oil isn't going to be fed to it.

So - did air simply get in the system when I changed the filter and I now need to have it "drawn" or "sucked" (siphoned) from the tank to get the feed going again?

finally - tank is 1/4 full currently.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have twin 10 month olds and if I can't get this figured out soon, I'll have to pay up for a serviceman (would rather not)

Last edited by mnero79; 10-13-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 07:23 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I think your on track with what happened. My tank is outside so the line also goes up from the filter. When I change the filter, I don't open the valve until I turn the burner on. That puts suction on the tiger loop/filter and then I open the Firomatic valve. That way the air in the filter isn't going up the line, but rather drawn into the pump to bleed out.

You're going to have to bleed the line to get all the air out which is probably trapped on the higher level. I'll let the pro's give you advise on how to accomplish that.

Old 10-13-14, 07:28 AM
M
Thanks for the reply. I would hope it would be as simple as attaching some type of vacuum to the bleeder on the filter canister, but yes, I will await a pro's recommendation first on how to resolve my situation if it is indeed a "air in the system" issue.

Old 10-13-14, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Since you have a tigerloop, the system should purge the air upon starting the burner. You may have to reset the burner control once or twice to get all the air out.

Old 10-13-14, 11:47 AM
M
Thanks, Grady.

So I should turn the thermostat on and have the system call for heat? Not to sound ignorant, but what is going to draw the oil thru the line, fill the filter canister, and feed the burner? Is it the pump?

Old 10-13-14, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pump pulls fuel from the tank & the tiger loop should vent the air. The burner will likely fire then loose flame once the little bit of fuel in the pump is gone. Allow the burner to run until it shuts itself down. Let it sit a couple of minute then push the reset button on the burner control.

Old 10-13-14, 03:56 PM
M
Thanks so much. I'm all set now.

Essentially all I needed to do was turn the thermostat on.
The unit fired up, then died out. The control unit was on an auto-recycle (1min countdown) and then it fired up again and we are all good now.

Thanks again!!

Old 10-13-14, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad it was that easy & that we could help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: