Checking for leaks,leak detection

Old 03-19-01, 02:01 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
GEE.DO I ENVY YOU GUYS.LEAK CHECKING HVAC.IT'S A PLEASURE TO DO SO!!!!!!!TRY LEAK CHECKING EVAP COILS IN A SLAUGHTER HOUSE.YOU'RE ON AN EXTENSION LADDER 16 FEET IN THE AIR.YOU HEAR THE BULLET,5 MINUTES LATER THEY HANG A PIG,COW OR SHEEP WITHIN 10 FEET OF YOUR FACE,SLICE IT OPEN,PULL ALL THE GUTS OUT,START STRIPPING IT DOWN.EVERYTHING FALLS TO THE FLOOR,GUTS AND ALL,THE STEAM RISES.THEN THE NEXT BULLET.

HOW ABOUT THE EVAPS IN A HOSPITAL MORGUE?YES SIR.THAT WILL MAKE YOU HUNGRY AT LUNCH TIME!!!!!!!!!

HOW ABOUT A WALK IN COOLER 40X40 THAT CONTAINS HUNDREDS OF POUNDS OF ROTTING FISH USE FOR LOBSTER TRAPS????????SOMEONE HAS TO LEAK CHECK THE SYSTEM.

OH YES!!!!!!DON'T FORGET MY MOST FAVORITE!!!!!MEDICAL UNIVERSITES.YOU GET TO WORK ON CASCADE LOW TEMP SYSTEMS.YEP,THATS WHERE THEY KEEP THE BODY PARTS TO SLICE AND DICE AND GIVE THE STUDENTS FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.YEP TROUBLESHOOTING A BUNCH OF ARMS,LEGS,LIVERS,KIDNEYS,ETC AS TO WHY THEY ARE NOT 30 BELOW ZERO CAN REALLY MAKE YOU WONDER WHY TELEMARKETING MAY NOT BE A BAD CAREER CHANGE.

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!WHEN I GO OUT TO LEAK CHECK A RESIDENTIAL HVAC,,,I GIVE A SIGH OF RELIEVE!!!!!!!

EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM HAS GOOD EXPERIENCE.YOUR INPUT HAS HELPED A LOT OF PEOPLE SAVE A LOT ON MONEY.MANY YEARS AGO,MY BOSS THOUGHT THAT I WASN'T DOING SOMETHING RIGHT ACCORDING TO HIM.HE SAID "OH NO,DO THIS,DO THAT.I HANDED HIM MY TOOL BELT,WENT OUTSIDE GRABBED MY COFFEE,HIS RESPONSE 20 MINUTES LATER "WELL IT YOU GET IT TO WORK THAT WAY,GO FOR IT." AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED WHAT EVER YOU USE TO LOCATE A LEAK IS OKAY WITH ME.PDF "A 52 Y/O ICE HOCKEY/ROLLER BLADING SON OF A *****."

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-01, 05:02 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
One Disgusting Experience.

Once I had to find a leak in a large rendering plant cooler. The salvaged and sorted products were in hundreds of 55 gallon barrels. Another company had been gassing the cooler up daily for a week and the contents were RIPE, even by rendering plant standards. The smell was unbelievable in a closed room.

The evaporators were ceiling mounted and the fan plate was on the bottom of the evap section. To access the coils the fan plate hinged down. I was on a 6 foot ladder stretching to drop the fan panel on one evap with my head tipped way back. When it dropped down some highly flavored condesate water spilled in my face and into my open mouth.

I think I spit for days. I can understand why the other techs hadn't wanted to find a leak inside of the cooler.

Old 03-19-01, 05:31 PM
Visiting Guest
LOL

I think I just found new love for my job, I work on containers for Sealand, when we get a 'leaky' we pull it off, put on a good one and bring 'leaky' in the shop.

Old 03-20-01, 02:52 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Lynn

Right on!!Sometimes you gotta to what you gotta do!!!As you said the freon pumpers didn't have the will or the guts to do the job right.You probably gained a customer by going the extra mile.You ended up a HERO,although a smelly one.

Will admit one of favorite customers lives at Walkers Point in Kennebunkport,Maine.The home belongs to former president Bush.Evertime I've been there they have been very cordial and polite.HOWEVER, the Secret Service at the compound,don't have a very good sense of humor.Try to get your service invoice signed,nobody,no how,signs anything.Miss your input on the forum Lynn.Where you been?Well today is the first day of spring.The weather forcast for Maine is a Noreaster storm for Thursday,Friday and part of Saturday.Don't know where I'll put another 2 feet of snow!!!!!PDF

Old 03-22-01, 07:46 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Weather Report

What is snow? It last snowed in Yuma, AZ in the 1930's. It is in the 90's this week and we are air conditioning from now to October. The winter visters are starting to bail out and go home.

Old 03-22-01, 03:38 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Hey glad to hear from you

Now please answer the miracle question.OKAY IT IS 105 DEGREES,BUT IT IS A DRY HEAT,WITH LOW HUMIDITY,SO IT FEELS OKAY.ARIZONA--STATE BIRD--CACTUS WREN----STATE FLOWER--SAGUARO---STATE TREE---PALOVERDE.STATE HOOD FEB,1912.i SURE HOPE YOU AND THE "GRAND CANYON STATE" STAY IN TOUCH WITH THE FORUM.PDF

Old 03-23-01, 12:48 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Dry Heat

It depends on the individual somewhat. I happen to find 105 deg. (dry) to be comfortable. The perspiration evaporates very efficiently and there is usually a slight breeze to help.

Almost anyone in the shade finds 95 deg.(dry) to be comfortable.

Above 110 the dry heat feels like standing too close to a campfire. The hottest I have seen is 125 deg officially. On a dark rooftop or in a corner that acts like a solar reflector oven, the ambient can go to 135 deg.

Hand tools can reach 160 deg. if you lay them down on the roof for 10 minutes or so.

Cooling we know about. Our knowledge on heating is limited. There is no hydronics and no oil heat in our market area. If the heat fails in the coldest weather the pipes are in no danger of freezing.

Old 03-23-01, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Nice to meet you Lynn

Southern California is neither hot like Az. nor cold like Maine. However the people here DEMAND a house thats seventy in the summer and seventy-two in the winter. Further, when these spoiled people lived in (name any east coast state here), they were in a house that had "floor" heat and now they want it for the brief winter here. I tell them; "Hey, its your money you can have what ever you want." And they pay me what I ask. Its amazing.

When I offer to people that they can have a 12 SEER system for just the extra cost of the equipment, minus the rebates, they often decline thinking they can afford the electricity. Again, its amazing. I don't know how Zona is fairing during the "energy crisis", Lynn, but you can probably relate to how its everybody fault and everybody problem to solve.

PDF I typed a long winded reply to your anecdote, and added one for the string, however my computer froze before it got posted. In a nut shell it said you take the cake with that story, my hats off to you.

PeoplesChoice