York furnace - Diamond 80 - locks out

Old 11-11-14, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York furnace - Diamond 80 - locks out

Hi - I have a York Diamond 80 furnace Model # P4HUC16N09201A. I am having issues with it starting last night:

The induction motor starts
tested vacuum switch
cleaned flame sensor
the glow plug turns on and very bright orange
4 out of five 5 times, the burner does not ignite

When it doesn't ignite, I don't hear a click from the gas valve. No voltage detected on the leads going into the gas valve

When it does light up, the flame stays for 2-3 minutes and then dies out. There's a whirring noise from the blower motor right before the burner goes out

Tried 3 times and locks out. 7 blink LED code

Tested the voltage at the flame sensor expecting 25VAC, but it was around 95VAC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 08:24 AM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
What does the error code mean? (it should be on the schematic, on the back of the blower compartment access panel)

Make sure that the pressure switch stays closed consistently through the heating cycle. I think if you measure voltage across the leads, it will be 0v when closed and 24v when open.

There's a whirring noise from the blower motor right before the burner goes out
Main blower?

Old 11-11-14, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the forums!!

When it doesn't ignite, I don't hear a click from the gas valve. No voltage detected on the leads going into the gas valve
Do you have a flash code on the control board before it locks out with the 7 flashes?

I suggest you remove the 12-pin connector on the furnace control board. Pins 9 (black wire) and 12 (yellow wire) are the two that go to the gas valve. I would remove that 12-pin molex plug and inspect it to make sure none of the pins are sticking out or pushed in further than any of the others. Look for any corrosion on that plug and also where it plugs into the board. Then plug it back into the board and make sure it is fully seated.

Then I would set the thermostat to heat and as soon as the ignitor glows brightly I would measure the voltage at the black and yellow wires going to the gas valve. You should have 24V across those two wires a few seconds after the ignitor glows. If you don't get that voltage it points a bad control board. I would test across the black and yellow wires with them removed from the gas valve.

Old 11-11-14, 10:13 AM
Thanks.

There's no flash code before it locks out and flashes 7 times. The LED flash 7 times means "ignition lockout due to retries."

The whirring sounds like it is coming from the main blower.

I will try your suggestion with the connector.

Old 11-11-14, 11:28 AM
You stated there is no voltage at the gas valve. After the ignitor comes on you only have around 4-6 seconds to measure the voltage at the gas valve.

I would try to definitely pinpoint the whirring sound to see if it coming from the blower. If that sound is coming from the inducer motor it could be the culprit causing your issues.

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-11-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 06:22 PM
I appreciate everyone's help. I came home from work today and tried the items mentioned and it has fired up three times in a row. The culprit seems to have been a loose connection on the circuit board which I tightened up. Thanks to you guys, I can enjoy a warm house tonight.

Old 11-11-14, 06:26 PM
Glad to hear you are back up and running and staying warm and thanks for the feedback!