Beckett oil furnace not working

Old 11-12-14, 09:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Beckett oil furnace not working

I don't think the issue is with the transformer. I disconnected each wire on the transformer, one at a time. Each time I disconnected a connector I flipped the switch and it tripped the breaker. With all wires disconnected from the transformer at the same time, the breaker still tripped. I also tried the reverse of this, keeping the connections on the transformer but removing their connection to the board one at a time.

I removed the wire nut that was holding the black wire into the box with the black wire into the board. I put the wire nut on just the black wire coming into the box and flipped the switch, it didn't trip the breaker.

It definitely seems that something is shorting out, I examined the board closely, removing the 4 screws securing it as well. I could not find any signs of a short on the front or back of the board.

All the above troubleshooting was done without the thermostat connected.

Here is a link that will show several pictures of the board and it's connections to include the old and new thermostat.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...BB8C355%214818

Old 11-12-14, 09:11 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All the above troubleshooting and still haven't figured out why the breaker is tripping when the switch for the furnace is turned on. Any ideas? Also trying to find part or replacement controller boards for this furnace is nearly impossible...

Old 11-12-14, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! To better assist you, please post the model number of your furnace.

Old 11-12-14, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Which transformer did you disconnect (control voltage or ignition)? That board should have a Honeywell number on it such as ST9102 or ST9103. If you search for that number it shouldn't be difficult to find one. Have you tried unpluging the molex for the fan?

Old 11-12-14, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One of the linked photos show the control board as ST9103A1036. A direct replacement is listed as R99G004. Here is one source:

Heil Quaker R99G004 CONTROL FAN TIMER ST9103A1036

It pays to shop around as there is a wide swing in prices. before condemning the control board I would carefully check the wiring that attaches to the black wire in the box to make sure it is not touching any other wires or the metal cabinet or other components.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: