York Gas Furnace Having some strange issues

Old 11-15-14, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Gas Furnace Having some strange issues

Hi,

I have a gas York furnace (Model GY8S080A12UH11B) that is acting up, I have tested my inducer vacuum, pressure switch etc...

Here is whats's going on

1. Inducer turns on with signal for heat
2. Pressure switch closes
3. Gas ignites and begins heating
4. Fan starts up when heat exchanger is up to temp.
5. here is where I'm confused, after the fan runs for about a minute, the pressure switch opens and shuts everything down. then flashes that the switch is stuck open.

I want to say there may be a leak in my heat exchanger that is allowing the fan to blow into my inducer system somehow? but I can't see any way that would be happening. Any ideas from someone with a bit more specific knowledge of the system would be great!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-14, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In your step 5, you posted "the switch is stuck open".

A furnace contains a number of limit switches that act as safety devices. A temperature limit switch opens if the furnace gets hotter than expected, for instance, which can be caused by impaired air flow.

Do you mind posting the full language of the diagnostic's interpretation of the number of flashes you see? It may be a bit more descriptive, and may point to a specific switch that will aid in troubleshooting.

Old 11-15-14, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is the pressure switch code, you can confirm by testing for 24 volts ac across the switch. If 24 volts are found, the switch is indeed open. I suggest checking the vent for any places where it might be sagged. The vent should run uphill from the furnace to the outside with a slope of 1/4" of rise per foot of run.

Old 11-15-14, 07:58 PM
Sorry, the pressure switch opens. 3 red flashes. I hooked a volt meter to the terminals and turned the furnace on. The pressure switch closed when the inducer motor started as it should, but after the fan starts and runs for about a minute the pressure switch opens again.

I also bypassed the pressure switch to make sure it's not a board or limit switch issue and the furnace continues to run no problem. The hose to the pressure switch is clean and free of debris.

My vent does have the right slope to it.

My thought was there is some type of air leak in the heat exchanger that is allowing the fan to blow into the inducer and give enough back pressure to drop the vacuum and let the pressure switch open. I'm not sure how that would be possible from what I've found on how the inducer and vent is routed but it's the only thing I can think of.

Thank you for your help!

Old 11-16-14, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is a possibility. I suggest taking a small drill bit & cleaning out the barbs where the pressure hose connects. If I can find it, I'll post a link to a video showing the flames on a furnace with a faulty heat exchanger.

Old 11-16-14, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Found it: Different brand, probably different construction but often a flawed heat exchanger will show similar flame reaction. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AI8VZQ-ts

Old 11-17-14, 11:49 AM
I am working on a york propayne furnace that when the fire box is closed it will not Ignite

Old 11-17-14, 03:35 PM
Hey Mike, Is the inducer motor running?

Old 11-17-14, 05:21 PM
Yes ,If open the exhaust vent at to release some pressure the unit fires up and runs and I have blown up the vent with a leaf blower to make sure it is clear.

Old 11-17-14, 06:08 PM
York gas furnace is getting water In the Inducer fan

When I turn the TStat to heat the Inducer motor starts blowing water.

Old 11-17-14, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Disconnect one end of the drain hose(s) & blow them out. Could be some debris preventing drainage.