Weil-Mclean Burner Transformer Question

Old 11-18-14, 11:57 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weil-Mclean Burner Transformer Question

Just had my boiler cleaned last week. As part of the cleaning, the service technician checked the transformer by placing a screw driver across the 2 high voltage clips. He noted that since there was not a good spark arcing between the clips, the transformer was too weak; it would need to be replaced.

Unfortunately, he did not test the actual voltage output of the transformer, and I did not think to ask him to do this.

He also noted that the Franceformer I had was rated for 10,000 volts and should be replaced if the volts drops down to ~9,500 to 9,600 volts, even though 9,200 volts would be sufficient for proper burner ignition.

The Franceformer (according to the service technician a tar filled iron core transformer) was replaced by a Carlin Electronic Ignitor made for the Weil McLain QB 180 burner (Model 41000S0WM).

Now I'm curious as to what the actual voltage output was for the Franceformer.

1. Is there a way to test the transformer voltage now that it is disconnected from the burner, and if so how?

2. What kind of a test device is needed and what is the device connected to the 2 wires for power to the transformer, the 2 high voltage clips, or both?

3. If the transformer can be tested, then will the voltage shown under test be the same as the voltage generated for proper burner ignition if the transformer was still on the burner?

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-18-14, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
To test the voltage you need a voltmeter with a high voltage probe. Do not even think about trying to test with ordinary probes. In the 30 years I've been doing oil burners, I've found the 'screwdriver test' to be quite reliable. If I can't pull a sparkat least 1/2 way between the high voltage terminals, I know that transformer is getting weak.
If the control on your burner can do interupted ignition (ignition shuts off after flame is proven), I strongly suggest it be set up as such. Electrodes last MUCH longer.

Old 11-20-14, 07:03 AM
J
RE:need a voltmeter with a high voltage probe.

My oil co. is saying that since it was on a Weil McLain burner that is needs a special type of voltmeter. That doesn't make any sense to me. I would expect any high voltage probe voltmeter would work. After all, it isn't a Weil-McLain transformer, rather a Franceformer transformer.

Do you agree?

Old 11-20-14, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're right, they are wrong. Plain and simple.

Old 11-21-14, 01:57 PM
J
Agree.

I talked with the owner yesterday; took the transformer with me. Yes, it can be tested. I left it with him.

From a conversation I had with Carlin (the mfg. for my new transformer), I found out that the controller I have (Honeywell R8184G 4009) is a 3 wire controller. As a result, the transformer is a continuous ignite whenever the boiler is calling for heat. This will shorten the life of the transformer.

So it looks like I'll need to upgrade to a new Honeywell controller - arg!

Do you know which Honeywell controllers can be used with a Weil-McLain QB180 burner such that the transformer will not be a continuous ignite?

Old 11-21-14, 02:58 PM
J
I went to this url, but have no idea which subset will resolve my problem. I'm just looking for the least expensive alternative.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...tpath=1.2.31.1

Also, is this something I can install myself, i.e. just look at the wires coming into the R8184, and connect the same wires for the new controller?

Old 11-21-14, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the control I suggest:
https://www.patriot-supply.com/produ...ELL_R7284U1004

If your burner has a solenoid in the fuel line between the pump & nozzle assembly, this control can incorporate a delay in opening that valve if you wish. Don't worry about wiring. If the instructions are not clear, I'll be glad to help.

Old 12-13-14, 09:31 AM
J
Originally Posted by grady
If the instructions are not clear, I'll be glad to help.
Just purchased the R7284U today, should get it in a few days. I'll read over the instructions and watch a video I found. I'll get back to you if any questions.

How do I tell if my burner has a solenoid? I don't think so, but not sure what one looks like.

thanks

Old 12-13-14, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just found a manual for your burner. I suggest you keep it. On page 8 of the pdf, you will see the solenoid labeled as #3. http://www.firedragonent.com/w-m.qb.manual.pdf

Old 12-23-14, 02:05 PM
J
Grady,

Thanks, yes, I also found my old hard copy manual and where the solenoid was. Sorry I asked before I found my manual.

I'm now ready to install the R7284. I've traced down all existing wiring to the R8184G and, for the most part, understand all the connections. I've also read through the R7284 wiring diagrams and have an idea of how to connect it. I wrote a 2 page document covering all of this, including where I have questions.

Would it be possible to go over this with you? Given it is the holidays, after the holidays is okay.

I was thinking private message might be the easiest way to do this. I don't mind adding the final correct 2 page document to this thread later if it would be of help to others.

thanks

Old 12-23-14, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be glad to go over it with you & unless you are tied up over the holidays, anytime is fine with me.
Check your PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: