Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Should bypassing ther thermostat by shorting the wires make the furnace turn on?

Should bypassing ther thermostat by shorting the wires make the furnace turn on?

Old 11-19-14, 08:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My old westinghouse gas furnace would not turn on today. The pilot light is on but it won't fire up the burners.

I have a Honeywell CT87K theromstat and I noticed that it didn't make a clicking sound no matter where I turned the dial. even after heating it up with a fan heater.

I thought it might have gone bad but when taking it off the wall and connecting a wire between the furnace's thermostat wires the furnace did not come on. Does that really indicate anything? From what I understand if those wires are shorted it's the same as bypassing the thermostat?

I checked the battery in the thermostat and it's still at 3v which is what it should be. The voltage between the thermostat wires from the furnace is about 1.3 or 1.4 volts which I don't understand. It seems like it should either be 24 volts or in a rare case something like 750 millivolts?

Is there any way I can force the furnace burners to come on?

Old 11-19-14, 08:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you jumper the two wires that go to the thermostat at the furnace it should start the ignition sequence. If you test between these wires at the thermostat or at the furnace you should get a reading of 24V. Make sure your meter is set to volts AC when testing. To better assist, please post the model of your furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: