*** Transformer burning up! Please help ***

Old 11-20-14, 02:47 PM
*** Transformer burning up! Please help ***

To get right into it.The transformer burned out in the furnace.I called a service company out.They replaced the transformer and instantly it burnt out he tested the system and everything checked out.He called his boss and said it sounded like a neutral problem in my electrical somewhere,either in the box or out at the road.AEP electrical supply company said everything from the house out to the street check out ok.So called a another HVAC guy.I really liked this guy,Honest and upfront.He thought what the other company said was crazy.He installed another transformer and it burned up quickly.He bypassed the outside air unit and tried again and again burned up(5 Transformers!!!).He did a through check of everything as far as i could tell.The crazy thing is,He always has an inline fuse and it never reads over 0.8 amps,BUt it still burns up!I feel this guy is good and has been doing this 22 years and said hes never ran into this situation!The only thing that i have done recently is change out a light fixture,and the wiring was oddly set up,wires split off and went up stairs and it did take me a while to get it wired correctly but when i did the light worked fine.2 days later i get a call saying the heat was out.Could the wiring have anything to do with the transformer burning up?I do know that the Furnace is on its own breaker.Please any suggestions or any thoughts would be great full.Its like 40 degrees in the house and its a rental!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-14, 03:02 PM
Did he measure the voltage powering the transformer?

Old 11-20-14, 03:06 PM
If you mean voltage coming from the beaker box.Yes i saw it was around 119 Volts. Thats the crazy thing all readings are normal but but burns up right infront of us!

Old 11-20-14, 03:26 PM
So there is a fuse on the 24V side of the transformer that does not blow?

Old 11-20-14, 03:36 PM
Yes there is an inline fuse on the 24v side and yes it does not blow. Everything i have read says i should be getting high amp readings going into or out of the Transformer but we do not get and readings over .8 amps then it burns up while we are watching the amp level and it never exceeds .8 amps? Could i have a bad control board?Then i say wait,the readings done lie do they im not getting and i amp readings?I don't know whats going on

Old 11-20-14, 03:45 PM
Could it be a natural wiring problem in the light fixture that i replaced?

Old 11-20-14, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Measure voltages as follows: hot to neutral, hot to ground, & neutral to ground. You should find +/- 120 on the first two & zero on the neutral to ground. If you get more than 1 volt, there is a problem with the neutral somewhere.