Carrier Weathermaker SX won't ignite pilot

Old 11-26-14, 04:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier Weathermaker SX won't ignite pilot

I am having issues troubleshooting my Carrier Weathermaker SX, model #58SXA060-GG Series 100. About 60% of the time when my thermostat calls for heat I don't get any spark to my pilot. When it does NOT light, my inducer motor will start and run, I hear a click that comes from my HSC ignitor/lockout control (part number: LH33WZ513A), then I loose my 24v to my pressure switch and it will eventually shut everything off. I have checked both of my intake and exhaust pipes for debris, they are clean. I have checked all of the drain tubing and cleaned out the drain trap, it is clean. While the inducer motor is running, I can ohm the pressure switch to make sure it is closing and it does. It stays closed, even after I hear the click from the ILO, it is still closed. So far what I know, is that when my thermostat calls for heat, I have 24v coming from "W" to my ILO going into pin 5, then when my pilot does NOT light I hear a click and loose 24v at pin 1 of my ILO. I am guessing I am hearing my 5-minute lockout timer open when that is happening. I believe that my ILO is failing, but because I am not a HVAC tech, I would love a second opinion on this matter, and have someone tell me if there is something down stream, maybe a faulty ground or connection some place else that could be causing my ILO to open and not produce a spark. I also know that if I jump 24v to the c terminal of the pressure switch, basically bypassing the the 5-minute lockout, my pilot will light, my main gas valve will open and my main burner will light, at that point I can take my jumper wire off of the "C" terminal of the pressure switch and the furnace will run until my desired temp. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-14, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!! It sounds like you have done an admirable job troubleshooting so far. The only suggestions I have at this point is to check the inducer motor port where the pressure switch hose connects. The small hole in that nipple gets clogged up and cause problems. You can use an opened paper clip to ream it out making sure it is clear all the way through. Also, check the edge connectors on the circuit boards for corrosion, grit and grime to make sure the connection and contact is solid.

Old 11-26-14, 05:56 PM
S
Thank you for input. I will check and clean all my edge connections, that is one thing that I have not done. I will also double check the opening out of the inducer motor to make sure it isn't plugged up. Thank you again. I did notice while I was cleaning out my drain trap, the hose going to it had some white, almost looked like teflon tape, in it. Is that a bad sign?

Old 11-26-14, 06:25 PM
Those intermittent type problems are the most difficult to find and correct and at times takes a lot of patience. Here are some links to some info that may be of benefit to you:

http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100.../58SXA-1SI.pdf

http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100.../58D,S-2SM.pdf

Last edited by firedawgsatx; 11-26-14 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-03-14, 07:26 AM
S
Weather maker SX no Pilot

Checked edge connectors, and cleaned connections with soft wire brush, checked inducer motor hole, it was clean. Any other thoughts on no spark during startup?