Tigerloop ultra s-220 with spin on filter problem

Old 11-26-14, 07:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tigerloop ultra s-220 with spin on filter problem

I have a beckett oil furnace and recently added a new above ground tank and installed a tiger loop ultra with 10 micron spin on filter. The problem is the 10 micron tall filter is too big and the oil pump on the furnace can't pull enough oil through it. I had to fill the filter with oil to the brim first and then install the filter. The furnace would run until the oil in the filter goes down to half and then lockout would occur. I pulled the filter and it was 3/4 full. I am getting plenty of oil into the tiger loop I can see it coming in, but it's not fast enough to fill the filter and then go to the pump without causing a lockout to occur. Should I get a shorter smaller spin on filter or get another tiger loop with no filter and attach a separate filter. No oil leaks was found in the system. I had an oil tech checked it and said it's the filter.

Old 11-26-14, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Upon initial start up, the fuel system should be bled of air via the bleed port on the pump untill a full flow of air free oil is observed. I always bleed at least an additional pint.

Honestly, I've never installed an "Ultra" but have installed dozens of the original style with a separate filter & always put the filter ahead of the Tiger Loop.

Has anyone checked the vacuum on each side of the filter? There should not be a major difference. I would expect no more than 1 or 2 inches. If there is more than that, it would indicate a problem either with the filter or the Tiger Loop itself.

Silly question that just crossed my mind: Is there a by-pass plug in the pump?

Last edited by Grady; 11-26-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-27-14, 11:49 AM
G
yes the by pass plug is in.

Old 11-27-14, 12:57 PM
G
I have bleed and bleed but the filter won't fill pass 3/4 full so no oil is getting to the pump to bleed but oil gets to the line side of the tigerloop fine. My oil guy says the same thing, he has installed a few with separate filters but none with the combo filter. I think I should be able to install a filter half size and it should work but not certain. The filter that came with it is 6" tall and since it fills 3/4 I should be able to install a 4" auto filter. What do you think.

Old 11-27-14, 01:14 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like air leak to me too.Would not think the larger or smaller filter would make a difference.

Old 11-27-14, 08:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with guyold. I'm betting there's an air leak. Is the by-pass plug installed in the pump? Did you oil the gasket of the fuel filter? Pipe dope on the pipe side of all fittings? Flares perfect?
Most 10 micron filters have a second gasket or O-ring which goes up past the male threads. If it gets nicked, you have an air leak.

Old 11-28-14, 08:03 AM
T
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Of if you missed the old o ring and installed the new filter with a new o ring, you have an air leak.
I have that sme combo, both size filters worked perfectly fine. You have an air leak somewhere.

Old 11-28-14, 10:34 AM
G
Everyone was right. I found an air leak at the tank, fixed now thank you all!

Old 11-28-14, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are most welcome. Finding air leaks can be a real challenge. Good job. Just curious: Where exactly, was the leak?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: