Gas furnace will not fire up

Old 11-30-14, 08:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace will not fire up

I have an old Comfortmaker RPJ, and the furnace will not light. I have troubleshoot to the point where the furnace kicks on, motor runs, control panel calls for pilot light, pilot light turns on, click from gas valve happens but burners do not fire up. Now I'm sure this is not recommended, but I attempted to light the burner with a lighter when the gas valve clicked on at that point in the process, to confirm that gas was coming through. Turns out I am able to light the front of the tubes, but the flame will not run down the tube to fully fire up, and then after a few seconds the gas valve clicks off, as it should since the unit did not fully fire up. I Have read many other threads that talk about a similar problem, but they seem to be an issue with the wire connector on top of the gas valve, which I seem not to have since I hear the click of the solenoid and do seem to have some gas coming through, as I was able to light the front of the tube as mentioned earlier. Maybe not enough??

Does anyone have any advice or faced similar issues?? Any help would be really appreciated...brrrrrrr

Old 11-30-14, 08:36 PM
C
Correction...it does not have a pilot light, it uses a igniter that glows.

Old 11-30-14, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A typical problem for the RPJ II.
We're going to need the full model number for this furnace.
It's on the side wall, near the burner.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-30-14 at 10:55 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 11-30-14, 09:26 PM
C
I will get the model number in a min, but the igniter seems to be working as it always has in the past. It turns on glows for a while, then the gas valve clicks (which I am assuming is it opening up) stays on for a few seconds, but then the igniter turns off and the little bit of gas that was coming out turns off. Again, I know that some gas comes out at that point in the process, because I am able to light the front of the "tubes", but it will not run to the back area that is normally where the flames are. I even tried holding the lighter over the area of the tubes that normally have the flames coming out of them when the furnace is fired up, but that doesn't work either.... well other than the faintest of flame once when I held the lighter over it, which is really making me feel that it is a gas issue. But I find it really odd that not enough is coming through, as opposed to none at all. Does that sound like it could be a cause?

Old 11-30-14, 09:29 PM
C
Model number gua060a012ain

Thanks for any help

Old 11-30-14, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
It could very well be a gas pressure issue. Is this natural gas or propane ?

Old 12-01-14, 05:01 AM
C
It is a natural gas furnace.

Old 12-01-14, 10:25 PM
C
Ugh...as everyone else with this problem, it turns out it is a connection issue. Ive gotten it to work with a shim helping the pressure of the connection, but is very temperamental. Might have to purchase a new gas valve just to take off and use the wire connector piece that is on top...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: