Question for SEATTLEPIONEER Floor Furnace

Old 12-09-14, 06:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question for SEATTLEPIONEER Floor Furnace

We have the exact situation as described here in this old thread: pilot will light, furnace ran ok but then stopped and notice the lazy pilot flame that is nolonger tight blue but loose and yellow/white.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...wont-come.html

Floor furnaces are commonly millivolt systems, powered by electricity generated firectly from the heat of the pilot flame.

If that's the case, the most common cause of the problem you describe is a dirty pilot burner and pilot orifice --- that hasn't been cleaned in years.

Rather than burning like a small blowtorch, you will probably see the pilot burner with a soft, lazy flame more like a candle flame, perhaps with a good deal of yellow flame in it.

If that's the case, the pilot burner would need to be removed, disassembled and cleaned, especially the pilot orifice that can be accessed by loosening and removing the brass ferrule holding the .25" aluminum pilot gas tubing into the pilot burner.

How hard is it to clean the pilot burner? Our local repair guys just want to sell us a new furnace? Having a devil of a time finding someone who knows how to work on this furnace.

Old 12-09-14, 10:51 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not S/P however I'm familiar with millivolt systems. Depending on which pilot you have indicates how to clean. First try and blow air back thru holes where flame is present. That will do it most of the time. If that fails look for a hole at the base of the pilot that may have lint in it. Try these ideas and come back to us. Does your local gas company make service calls?

Old 12-15-14, 08:01 AM
A
I'll have to check and see if they make service calls.

Is cleaning those pilot holes something I can do, as a layman?

Old 12-15-14, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
If the powerpile is engulfed in the flame but the gas valve is not opening then you may simply just need a new powerpile..

Shop Honeywell 750 Millivolt Replacement Thermopile Generator for Furnaces, Boilers, Water Heaters at Lowes.com

Old 12-15-14, 12:21 PM
A
Right.

At first the pilot lit fine and the furnace fire off well. This lasted about two weeks, and one morning the furnace would not fire up.

The flame for the pilot was noticably different: larger, yellower and less "defined" -- if that makes sense.

The technician who worked on the furnace -- but who is always vocal about wanting to sell us a new furnace, had no success. He got the furnace to fire up a few times, but then the pilot went out and he left it that way -- on to other jobs.

Old 12-15-14, 09:09 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Don't change the powerpile until you are sure that the orifice is clean.

You can clean the orifice yourself if you'd like, but there's a risk of enlarging it or distorting the pilot line connection and causing a gas leak.

Old 12-16-14, 08:31 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This is the perfect time to be taking reads. Your meter is your best friend and will tell you where the problem will be. I presume your service tech did not take any reads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: