Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Gas Heater Turns Off Several Times Before Thermostat Temperature Is Reached

Old 12-10-14, 07:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this forum and a new homeowner so please bear with me. I have an old furnace that I recently had to have the control board replaced on. After the board was replaced and the furnace was working "normal" I had a suspicion that it still might not be operating correctly. But I've never had a gas heater before so I really don't know. Anyways, here is what the typical heating cycle is like for me. 1) I turn up the digital thermostat (I just installed a brand new one so I know it's not the thermostat and in any case my issue still happened with the old thermostat). 2) The heater responds and ignites all the burners and the fan kicks on just fine. 3) After a period of some time maybe around 5-10 minutes the burners turn off. The fan stays on but the temperature the thermostat has called for has not been met. 4) The fan briefly stops and the burners re-ignite starting this whole sequence over again and continues until my temp requirement has been reached.

So I've been reading some and think it might be the flame sensor is dirty? Does anyone agree with my thought or do you think it could be an even bigger issue? I plan to clean the flame sensor hopefully this weekend but it's a little bit of a pain to get to and don't want to waste my time if that's not it.

Help please!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Although it could possibly be the flame sensor it's not likely.

It sounds to me like the furnace is shutting down on high heat. That can caused by a lack of airflow which can be attributed to a dirty filter. Check the filter(s) first. Make sure the return air vents aren't blocked and that there aren't too many closed registers.

Most furnaces have a control board in them which has a diagnostic LED on it. Look for the control board. It may be in the blower compartment. If it's in the blower compartment there will be a sight glass in the door to see it. The trouble codes are usually listed inside the blower door. Once the door is opened..... the trouble codes are cleared.

Old 12-11-14, 06:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You were absolutely right. I knew that the filter was clean because I had changed it. I also knew the return wasn't blocked and that I had all the vents open upstairs. But as I walked around to feel the airflow out of them I noticed several had little airflow and were not very warm. So I walked back down to the basement and started following the duct work. Sure enough I found several sections of the duct work that had been closed off, which I don't really get why you would do that from the duct, so I opened them and adjusted how much air I wanted coming out just with the normal registers I could easily access and everything worked great. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-11-14, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Great news. You'll probably be more comfortable now too.