Burner cycling while blower continues

Old 12-10-14, 04:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burner cycling while blower continues

I'll start with the "info needed" section

1. In which area you live and ambient temperatures you usually experience.
New Hampshire - it's been between 30f-40f recently

2. House style and construction details.
grambrel style house built in 1905 with fieldstone foundation- 1700 sq ft - 4 bedrooms - 2 bathrooms - dining room- living room.

3. Make, model and age of equipment related to the problem.
Rheem Imperial High Efficiency (Model# ROBC-130RBJA)

4. Fuel type.
Oil

5. Water temperature and pressures of boiler systems.
NA / Electric Water Heater

6. Thermostat type.
Honeywell Wifi7 (Model # RTH6580WF) installed myself, since day 1.

We bought our house about 3 months ago when weather was nice out. When it started getting colder we would use the furnace here and there and didn't notice anything weird. Before it started getting really cold we called our local oil company and had them come out and clean it, and deliver us some fuel.

The tech came onsite and left smelling like oil - I believe he just replaced the oil filter.

1-2 weeks went by with no change in behavior from the furnace - then it started getting colder out and we started using it more. The change in behavior started with the following symptom (and my gut tells me its not normal).

T-stat clicks indicating furnace needs to turn on.
I can hear the burner on the furnace start like normal.
Burner stops - and turns on 1 second later (Before blower comes on)
Blower comes on (in usual ~15-20 second time frame) while burner stays on

I didn't pay too much attention to the symptom until I was in my basement working and noticed the behavior evolving..

Same symptoms as above - but after a couple minutes of running, the burner would EITHER shut down and turn on 1 second later - or shut down and turn on 20-30 seconds later.

I have noticed that when the heat is ready to shut off - the burner stops and the fan blows remaining heat out - the behavior above was before hitting target temps on the t-stat.

I've also noticed when the furnace first comes on - the air is not warm. It's somewhat cold / or luke warm when it first starts. It does warm up, though (probably all normal)

This could be completely normal. I just want to make sure things are running correctly, and efficiently (and safe!)

Old 12-10-14, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,340 Upvotes on 2,999 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

but after a couple minutes of running, the burner would EITHER shut down and turn on 1 second later - or shut down and turn on 20-30 seconds later.
That sounds like the burner is shutting down on overheat. That could be cause by a lack of airflow thru the furnace.

Have you checked/changed the filter recently ?
Make sure air return vents aren't blocked.
Make sure too many registers aren't closed down.
Is there an A/C coil in the unit ?

Old 12-10-14, 05:46 PM
Received 158 Upvotes on 144 Posts
I am sure you have set that RTH 6580 to the correct settings for your system.
Just a thought
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: