Entire Systems Needs Replacing?

Old 03-23-01, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a 5 year old home that I purchased last summer. This spring, the A/C didn't seem to get cold. I had a tech out here who checked the system and told me the following:

1) Freon level was extremely low
2) Compressor kicks on, runs for about 5-10 minutes, then stops for a while, restarts, stops, etc.
3) He tried adding freon to cool down the compressor and it still exhibited the same behavior ... in fact the compressor didn't run long enough to even get the system charged with freon
4) The evaporator coil unit has some rust down around the drip pan and he says the particular unit is not that great and that they replace a lot of them at this age (5 years).
5) The warranty on the compressor expired 3/4/2001 (Can tell by serial number)

Prognosis: Minimum is to replace the evaporator coil, but hte compressor is probably shot as well, due to the system having been run with low freon.

Recommended Fix: New System (Evaporator Coil and Compressor)

Does this sound legit? I'm looking at spending $3000-$4500 on AC for a 5 year old house, which of course I'm not pleased with .... but does this sound accurate? Should I get a second opinion?

The Compressor unit is a Bryant, Model #561CJ060-A, Serial #:3496E18970.

I don't have the model info on the evaporator coil in front of me but I can go dig around and see if that helps.

Also, the house is 2-story and is zoned upstairs/downstairs with a damper system.

The second part of my question has to do with the recommended candidates for replacement:

1) Carrier 38CKC -- equivalent to my current system, 5 yr. warranty
2) Carrier 38TKB -- equivalent to my current system, 10 yr. warranty
3) Carrier 38TXA --- a lot more money but uses Puron and is supposed to be the best system. He said it would blow 8-10 degrees colder air than the others.

Any input on these systems would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Randy Knight

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-01, 04:32 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
You may do what you want, but the complete system should last longer than 5yrs. Sounds more like a bad metering device, moisture, restriction in the system and freon leak. I'd get a second opinion. Do not relay any info to the second company, other than the a/c does not work. Let them do the diagnosis without the information the previous company gave you.

Old 03-24-01, 05:10 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
DO EXACTLY

WHAT fjrcachel RECOMMENED.DO NOT LET THE NEXT SERVICE COMPANY KNOW THAT SYSTEM HAS BEEN CHECKED.P L E A S E !!!!!GIVE A HOLLER BACK TO LET US KNOW THE OUT COME!!!!PDF