Ignitor not coming on

Old 12-17-14, 05:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ignitor not coming on

Hi all, thanks for having this forum.

My ignitor is not coming on. The fans are starting but the 110v voltage to the ignitor is not present. The ignitor tests good with a conductivity tester. The little red light on the controller is lit. This is a Trane system with a White Rogers controller. I have reset the power switch, but I cannot find a reset button on the controller.

Can someone please help me? Thanks, Jim

Old 12-17-14, 05:35 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! To better assist please post the model of your furnace. Based on your description it sounds like the pressure switch is not closing.

Old 12-17-14, 06:04 AM
Hi firedawgsatx, thanks for your reply.

First of all this is a Trane XE80 Model:TUD080C936B0

Next, how do I test the pressure switch? Thanks, Jim

EDIT: I tried tapping it with a screwdriver handle without success.

Old 12-17-14, 06:23 AM
I suggest you remove the hose that is attached to the pressure switch and make sure it is clear from end to end. Then where the opposite end of that hose attaches there will be a port that can get clogged up with crud. The crud can be cleaned out with with an opened paper clip. Also make sure there is nothing inside the vent pipe such as a bird's nest. dead bird, leaves, hornet's nest and etc.
Any of those things can prevent the pressure switch from closing. Is the light on your control board flashing and, if so, how many flashes are there? I have attached a photo of a typical pressure switch is located on a Trane XE80.

There could be other reasons why the ignitor is not coming on. I suggest you reset the control board by shutting off power for a few seconds, turning back on, call for heat and then observe the control board to see if you see the light flash on the control board.

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-14, 07:01 AM
Thanks firedawgsatx. I have done what you suggested. I put a coat hanger through the port and it was clear. I didn't yet check for birdsnests etc. The light on the controller is solid red. I noticed that when the hose is not connected to the switch, it shows 3 short blinks. What's next? Jim

Old 12-17-14, 07:13 AM
Do you see a label that lists the fault codes? It should tell you what a solid red light means. On many boards a solid red light means the board needs to be replaced. To test the pressure switch to see if it is closing during a call for heat you use your voltmeter set to volts AC. Place one lead on one of the terminals of the pressure switch and the other lead to a good ground such as a screw on the chassis cabinet. You should get 24V to ground. Then do the same for the other terminal. If you get 24V to ground on both terminals of the pressure switch while calling for heat that indicates the pressure switch is closed. If the pressure switch is closed the ignitor should have 120V and glow brightly. While calling for heat did you check for 120V at the board terminals where the ignitor connects? If the pressure switch is closed and the control board is not supplying voltage to the ignitor terminals it would indicate a bad control board.

Old 12-17-14, 07:19 AM
Hi firedawgsatx. Yes, the fault code solid red means a defective control board. I'll try to get one locally and let you know how it works out. Thanks.

Old 12-17-14, 07:22 AM
I was pretty sure that is what the solid red light indicates on the XE80. Keep us posted.

Old 12-17-14, 02:59 PM
The local guy had one in stock, but his price was $214.00. I believe in supporting local businesses but there is a limit. I got one on line for $127.00 plus freight and it will be here in 2-3 days. We are expecting fairly temporate weather for the next few days so it should work out ok. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes. Regards, Jim

Old 12-27-14, 04:43 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I installed the new controller and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. I couldn't have done it without you firedawgsatx. Regards, Jim

Old 12-27-14, 04:50 PM
You are very welcome. Glad to hear everything went well for you and thanks for the update.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: