Trane XE80 four flashes troubleshooting

Old 12-30-14, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XE80 four flashes troubleshooting

I have a Trane XE80 TUD100C960H5 (White-Rodgers 50A50 controller) blowing cold air with 4 flashes indicating an open thermal protection device. It has not functioned at all this season, but showed no sign of problems last season. I have continuity at the main limit and the two roll-outs I can identify (one at each end of the burner array). I have continuity at the igniter. Is there another device I should check?

Background:
The furnace worked fine until I turned it on for the first time this year. It has never overheated. I had an A/C tech in a few months ago when my squirrel cage failed and had to be replaced. Obviously, many wires were disconnected and reconnected in that process. (Also, I think one guy was a trainee.)
I have tried to make sure all the wires are firmly connected. I found one set reversed on the control board and have fixed that. However, I only knew about that because I happened to have taken a picture before the A/C repair that showed the order of those wires, and don't have pictures the whole pre-repair setup. I can probably find the wiring diagram on line, but in the meantime, can you suggest the most likely place to start? I have no reason to think any of the other typical problems are happening here -- that is, I don't think the limit was tripped as a safety device; no clogged filter, etc.

No offense taken at questions like "is it plugged in" or "did you pay the gas bill?" I'm prepared for it to be something obvious I'm missing, but my hunch is something was done during the A/C repair that didn't get put back right. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-14, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are fours safety switches in the line.
1) Thermal cutout
2 & 3) Roll out sensors
4) Reverse flow switch.

Old 12-30-14, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aaaannd -- #4 is the problem. Thank you so much, and Happy New Year.

Old 12-30-14, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Awesome job.... Happy New Year to you too.