Yet another furnace/blower whistling thread

Old 01-07-15, 01:05 PM
Yet another furnace/blower whistling thread

I have a Furnace (80%) that has a high pitched whistling noise whenever the blower is running (which is, Always!). The high pitched whistle is constant, and present regardless of whether Heat or AC is on/off. As long as the blower is ON, then the whistling is present. My wife can't hear it, but I am more sensitive to high pitched sounds and it is driving me crazy. We've tried blower speeds at medium, as well as medium-high. The pitch changes, but the whistling sound is there regardless.

It all started RIGHT AFTER I had the (cracked) heat exchanger replaced by a local professional repair company. So they came back and took the heat exchanger out, resealed everything meticulously, but the sound is still there. You can clearly hear the sound originating from the furnace itself, so it is basically spreading through the whole duct-work around the house.

So at this point we kind of ruled out the idea of a small gap on the sealed area surrounding the heat exchanger causing a whistle effect... could be the blower motor I guess, but that was NOT touched.

Any ideas what it could be? Any basic tests I could perform to rule out one thing or another?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-15, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can lay hands on a mechanic's stethoscope like this http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM you might be able to narrow down the source of the whistle.

Old 01-09-15, 11:03 AM
So I think I have concluded the blower motor itself is responsible for this high pitch sound. I've ruled out a lot of other things, and when I still my ear next to the sheet metal adjacent to the blower wheel, the high pitch/whistle sound is at it's max....

Does anybody know how to determine the exact replacement part for this furnace, model CARRIER 58PAV? Any suggestion where to buy? It looks like a very easy swap, I alreadt took the old motor assembly out and put back in no problem.

Old 01-09-15, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The motor shouldn't be anything special. You can probably pick up a motor locally at a plumbing or HVAC supply house. The hard part is often getting the fan off the motor shaft.

Old 01-10-15, 01:50 PM
Is motor/bearing failure commonly associated with this type of high pitched o sound? It sounds like when you rub a wet finger around a glass... or a tuning fork.

I am about to spend $380 on new motor and new balanced fan wheel cage. Just want to make sure this all makes sense....

Old 01-10-15, 04:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Honestly, no but noises, especially ones we can't hear, are extremely hard to troubleshoot. Can you possibly record the sound & post it on you tube then post a link here?

Old 02-27-15, 02:44 PM
Just so you all know, it was the blower motor. Replaced the blower motor and whistling sound is completely GONE!

Old 02-27-15, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear you got you noise fixed. Something like that can drive you absolutely crazy. Good job.