Gas furnace cycling issues

Old 01-13-15, 01:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace cycling issues

I live in Alberta, Canada, it's winter. I keep my furnace set for about 21C. I have a 4 bedroom 2 level home. Natural gas furnace and water heater. I use a programmable thermostat to keep the house at one level. The house used to have 2 thermostats but when we moved in we found out they were kinda working against each other and the furnace ran almost constantly so we turned off the one in the basement and ran just the upstairs thermostat. Just in the last month I've noticed that the furnace is coming on every 15 mins and running for 22 minutes at a time! I don't mind a chilly house as I usually sit with a blanket on. I do notice that a lot of the time by the time the furnace stops it is warmer by a couple degrees than I have it set to but not all the time. It doesn't even seem to throwing out very much heat. I mean I've stood on some registers and had my feet burn and this just seems to be a very lukewarm air coming out. Sorry I don't know very much more about this. I have changed the batteries 3 times in the thermostat thinking that could be the problem. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm terrified that I'm going to get my heating bill next month and it will be out of control. The only info I can get off my furnace is that it's an Anthes Automatic Heat, there doesn't seem to be any more info on it than that.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-15, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It doesn't sound like anything actually wrong. It's been cold and furnaces will run longer. Depending on the thermostat.... the furnace may run a little longer and overshoot the set temperature by a degree or so. That's no cause for worry and you could set it a degree cooler.

I am not familiar with your furnace at all. Have you have the unit serviced recently ? Gas furnaces are fairly reliable but should be cleaned every couple of years.

Has the filter been maintained/changed ?