Clearance from furnace to wall

Old 01-17-15, 09:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Clearance from furnace to wall

My Forced Air /HVAC/Gas unit is in the basement which I want to redesign into an entertainment room.
I would like to put up some 2x4s and "wrap" it from 3 sides with fire-resistant enclosure. I will leave one side open (no wall), however, it won't be on the side of the burner in my furnace.

Considering it surely needs draw some air while it works - what is the recommended clearance ?
Alternatively, could I install mini-doors with slits if I wanted the wall to be say 12inch from the furnace facing the burners and air intake ?

(by mini-door I mean a small 46"x 24" gate with either slits or small holes for air )

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-15, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
Look at the documentation for your furnace. It should have a spec for everything you want. How much clearance is needed on the sides and how much open area it needs for combustion air. Also don't forget that the furnace will need to be serviced sometime and will have to eventually be replaced. You don't want to tear down walls some day when the heat doesn't work.

Old 01-18-15, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are wise to ask how much air the furnace needs. As it sounds right now, it can just suck any air out of the basement because there's nothing down there. But, you convert that into a living space - and the furnace will be competing for the air it needs with any persons in the room! If you don't give it it's own source of air from the outside.

Old 01-20-15, 08:25 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
MrTech....I detect a bit of sarcasms in your reply....I thought my question was a valid one....I am sure one would impact the efficiency of a furnace if you'd build four walls all around it and only few inches of clearance from each side.... would you really recommend it to somebody ?

Old 01-20-15, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paul, I don't think MrTech meant any sarcasm. I believe he was just cautioning you about making sure there is sufficient air for combustion. So often we've seen furnaces being boxed in with no thought for combustion air, service, or replacement. I've actually had to cut a hole in the wall to be able to remove a blower & motor.

A couple of pictures of the furnace might help as would the make & model. Maybe we can even find an installation manual which should answer your questions regarding clearances.