Type of venting required for oil furnace

Old 01-29-15, 02:15 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: owego, new york
Posts: 110
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Type of venting required for oil furnace

Is it acceptable to use galvanized pipe and fittings to vent an oil fired, forced air furnace. the existing galvanized pipe is old and deteriorating. The furnace is old and probably going to be replaced in the next couple of years and I did not want to put more than the minimum into it now.
It is in an unfinished basement and the vent ties into a brick chimney. The entire vent is less than 6' and does not contact any combustibles. Thanks for your help
Old 01-29-15, 11:33 AM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 12,667
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
You can use a minimum of 26ga. galvanized for the pipe between the furnace & chimney. It is usually available at home centers & hardware stores. Just be careful not to get the 28 or 30ga. That stuff is only for ducts.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: