Low fire only

Old 02-02-15, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low fire only

For the last week or so my furnace (Lennox G61MPV-36B-070-12 ) would run intermittenly. Thermostat was set at 72, at times it would start to feel chilly and I noticed the temp in the house had dropped 4 or 5 degress, so I would cycle the thermostat on and off and then things would warm up again.
I checked for codes on the furnace and it was indicating “low sense current “ . I pulled the flame sensor (wow, tough spot to get at that ¼” screw) cleaned & replaced it and all seems fine now.

But since I was in there I decided to check things out and noticed the dip switches on the control board were set to operate with a two stage thermostat, trouble is my thermostat is single stage and there is no connection at W2 on the furnace.

So am I correct in assuming my furnace will always be at Low Fire when operating? Is there any negative consequences for operating like that? It is a small house and I have no concerns about the amount of heat so should I just leave it alone? Personally I can’t think of any downsides to just leaving it this way but maybe I am missing something? Just hoping to get some thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-15, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the forum! Here is a link to the installation manual for your furnace:

http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/installat...g61mpv_iom.pdf

Starting on page 45 of the manual it explains how to configure the switches and the operation of the controls. Using a single-stage thermostat the control can be set to either a 10 or 15 minute delay before the second-stage heat kicks in.

Old 02-02-15, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have been comfortable in the past with the furnace configured for low fire only, I would leave things alone. You might not have enough duct capacity to handle the output of high fire.

Old 02-02-15, 12:17 PM
Thanks firedawgsatx,

I have the manual and understand how to change the settings but was just hoping for opinions on whether or not I really need to change it or if there is any negative consequences that I haven't thought about. Seems to heat the house just fine the way it is.

Old 02-02-15, 12:20 PM
If it is working properly and you are happy with it then no need to change anything.

Old 02-02-15, 12:22 PM
Good point Grady, I certainly didn't think about that.

Old 02-02-15, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys for the quick replies, I will just leave it as is.
@firedawgsatx: I see you are from San Antonio, visited there last winter, beautiful place!