What to do with this high limit switch... or is it?

Old 02-10-15, 05:17 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with this high limit switch... or is it?

Hello!

The temperature outside my house is a balmy 0 degrees right now, and being unable to contact a service person/unwilling to do so.... I thought I'd ask some experienced folks for advice before I start beating my furnace with a hammer.

A little background on my situation will really help. Last winter around the same time, my furnace started to kick on and off, on and off, accomplishing no heating. I called my land lady, who had a technician call me (of course this is at 1am) and try to trouble shoot over the phone. We determined the burners were firing, but being stopped by a faulty high limit switch directly afterwards. He tried to get me to bypass the switch for the night, but I didn't feel confident in doing so at the time. We made it through the night with space heaters. I returned the next day to hear from my girlfriend that the repairman told her he "turned the blower up." I thought this odd, expecting instead to hear that a faulty high limit switch was replaced, but didn't make a fuss because the house was warm....ish. I should have made a fuss.

So, here I am this winter, with a blower that seems to run constantly and a furnace that barely seems to do its job. I sometimes still hear the burner kicking in and out, in and out, every three seconds, especially tonight. Should I bypass the switch? Is it difficult? What do you guys think?

The furnace is a Goodman, natural gas, AFUE 80.

Haven't opened the panel since last winter, but I'm almost positive the error lights confirmed that the switch is the issue.

Old 02-10-15, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,181 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

YOU should do nothing You are renting and should demand satisfaction from your landlord.
You do not want to bypass any high limit control as that puts you in serious jeopardy from a fire.

If the high heat stat is cycling.... it means there is not enough airflow thru the furnace. A plugged filter, too many closed registers, a blocked return vent or a dirty A/C coil can all cause that problem.

Old 02-10-15, 06:01 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I definitely agree with you on the whole landlord thing... I was just wondering what it could be. And am I correct in assuming my repairman didn't do the correct thing?

Old 02-10-15, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,181 Likes on 2,856 Posts
He turned the blower speed to counteract the poor airflow. It appears that even that's not enough. Something is choking the air flow. If you have an A/C coil in that furnace..... that could be it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: