Gas burners whistle when burning

Old 02-12-15, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas burners whistle when burning

I live in iowa and have a goodman gmpn080-4 natural gas furnace. the burners when lit whistle and when the burners turn off the whistle stops even when the inducer and main blower stay running. any ideas? I tried adjusting the venturi openings and it didn't do to much to help. this has ben going on for about a week. I read an article on google that said it could be because of the different blend of gas purchased by the gas utility. it doesn't seem to effect the performance of the furnace as far as heating the house and the flames all look nice and blue. any thoughts or directions to look? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-15, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Frank & welcome to the forums. Has anyone recently done anything to the gas system such as maybe a new meter or adding another appliance?

Old 02-12-15, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
It's a mystery. I have a gas burner that resonates. It will do it for a couple of days and stop. Sometimes it won't happen again for weeks. I'm fairly certain it's something in the gas.

Old 02-12-15, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pete, is that resonation at all related to temperature. I've seen burners/heat exchangers resonate when cold but not when warm.

Old 02-12-15, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
It doesn't appear temperature related. I though it only used to happen when the furnace hadn't been running in a while but it has done it 10-15 minutes after just having run. Last year it resonated so loudly it shook the house. I haven't heard it anywhere near that loud this year.

Old 02-12-15, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I have seen 1/2 inch flex lines cause a whistle.
Replacing the line with a 3/4 inch has stopped the noise for me in the past.

Old 02-13-15, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the only thing changed lately was that I went from copper tubing to the gas cook stove to stainless steel flexible tubing. haven't changed anything on or near the furnace. the furnace itself has black pipe all the way. I was hoping for a simple fix or else once it warms up I might have to take the burners out and clean them.