HVAC / Furnace Question.. Troubleshooting advice needed please..

Old 02-16-15, 07:12 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HVAC / Furnace Question.. Troubleshooting advice needed please..

So the past couple weeks we've notice that our house has taken a long time to get to the set temperature.. Granted, it's been absolutely freezing outside as of late (yesterday's high was 2*) but even when the winter temps were "normal" it's still taking longer than usual..

Our house was built in '96 and is fully insulated. Furnace is original.. Woke up yesterday morning and the house was at 61* (actual temp).. The thermostat was set at 66*.. It took about 5 hours to get it to 66*.. House is 2,100 sq/ft..

Had my father in law over who is the handy type.. He thinks everything looks normal as far as his expertise goes.. The furnace is putting off about 120* heat (he put a thermometer over one of our vents).. The flames in the furnace are nice and blue.. Blower is running, etc..

I checked the schedule on the thermostat and it's set to 66* 24/7.. Woke up this morning and the house was 62*..

The only thing he noted was that when he would put a piece of paper on a return vent at his house, the return would hold it up there.. At our house it doesn't.. His house also blows curtains etc when the blower is on where ours you can barely feel the air coming out of some vents..

He said his furnace he was able to put his blower on medium (it was on low) and it seemed to help at his house.. We didn't see any option to do that on ours..

The room that has the thermostat is at the far end from where the furnace is.. To me, it makes sense that you don't feel much air coming out of the vents because they are at the far end of the heat runs, but, maybe that's not normal..

Anywho, any one have any ideas or thoughts on what to check?

Thanks! :up:

Old 02-16-15, 07:23 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot to mention I replaced the filter around two months ago..

Old 02-16-15, 10:29 AM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Sounds like it is just the extreme cold,has it worked OK in the past? are all the exposed supply air ducts insulated? Have you checked the wiring Dia. to be sure you can't change the fan speed although I don't think that would help that much,you may find lower supply air temp.
Geo

Old 02-16-15, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,187 Likes on 2,862 Posts
Did you change the filter with the same exact type ?

Sometimes a high efficiency filter is installed and restricts the air flow.
AS A TEST ONLY... remove the air filter to see if the air flow increases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: