Carrier furnace - leaking hose

Old 02-17-15, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier furnace - leaking hose

Hi guys, I have a Carrier Weathermaker SX Gas Furnace, Product Model: 58SX080-BC.

And I'm currently having a problem where I'm getting leaking at the bottom of the furnace. I've traced it back to this yellow-ish hose (I think it might be called a condensate line???). Here's an image of it (with a red arrow pointing to where it's leaking at):

Name:  IMG_2473 - Edited to show point of leaking.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  30.4 KB

You can see it actually dripping a little bit right at the connecting point between the hose and that black component (sorry, I don't know the name of it).

Also, if it helps, here's another image of the yellow hose from another angel:

Name:  IMG_2478 - Edited to show another angle of yellow hose.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  38.2 KB

Yes, that's a paper towel in front of the hose to soak up the water.

How should I go about in trying to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance to any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-15, 03:02 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
It's hard to tell if the hose is cracked or loose,if it's just loose put an approximate sized hose clamp on it, one other thing, make sure that hose isn't blocked.
Geo

Old 02-17-15, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Those hoses usually fit onto a plastic nipple. If your's does, try putting a clamp around it. The type of clamps normally used are the type you use pliers to compress and are made of spring steel.

Old 02-17-15, 04:49 PM
I just re-checked the hose, and I think there's already a black clamp on it. Also, the hose is really, really tight.

Could the hose just be clogged up? If so, is it safe to just pull off the hose (so I can inspect it)? I'd imagine a bunch of water might come leaking out, though, which has me concerned that it might overflow onto some of the electronics.

Also, I noticed there's a toggle switch on the side of the furnace. When I flip the switch to the off position, it seems like the furnace stops making noise. So I'm assuming this shuts down some, or all of the power to the furnace? I'm assuming I should do this first if I'm going to try and pull the hose off?

Old 02-17-15, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Toggle switch?? Does it look like an ordinary light switch? If so, it is a service switch intended for use when someone is working on the furnace & should kill all power to the furnace.
Yes, you should shut it off before removing the hose. You can protect the electronics with plastic wrap. Just be sure to remove it before turning the power back on.

Old 02-18-15, 03:46 AM
Yes, it looks like an ordinary light switch.

And thanks for the tip about plastic wrap!

I'll try that and I'll let u guys know what I find out.

Old 02-19-15, 10:23 AM
Ok, I pulled off the hose (at least the suspect end of the hose). Here's a pic of the end of the hose:

Name:  IMG_2497.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  27.7 KB

It's all brittle, crusty, worn out and no good anymore.

Also, is there supposed to be a nipple on this black component that the hose connects to? As u can see from the pic below, there's nothing there (but I suspect it rotted away and/or what's left of it, is now stuck at the end of the hose, as seen in the above pic):

Name:  IMG_2483.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  29.1 KB

Also, I suspect I may have to remove the black clamp at the end of the hose, as seen in the below pic:

Name:  IMG_2504.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  26.7 KB

But is there a special way to remove the clamp? I can't seem to find any easy way to do so.

So is there any special part(s) that u guys think I need to buy? And if so, where might be a good place (store and/or site) to do so?

Thanks again for any help!

P.S. For the time being, I just put the hose back on, and put some plumbing (teflon) tape around the metal part (which I'm assuming is what's left of the nipple of the black component) that sticks out of the end of the hose. I hope there's no problem in doing this.

Old 02-19-15, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That part sticking out of the end of the hose is the nipple. I believe it has broken off the plastic on the furnace. If you get really lucky, you might be able to glue it back until the plastic can be replaced.
I normally use lineman's pliers or channel locks (water pump pliers) on those clamps. Yes they are a pain in the posterior to deal with.

Old 02-19-15, 05:28 PM
Is the plastic nipple something that can be bought separately? I've tried looking around online, but came up empty handed. Then again, I'm not sure exactly the name of the part that I should be looking for. I just googled for "Carrier Gas Furnace condensate pump nipple".

I think I might need to call in the pros and buy it off of them, if I can't find it myself.

The good news is, though, it doesn't seem to be leaking as much anymore since I removed the hose, and cleaned out what I think was the busted up plastic part of the nipple, and put the hose back on as best as I could.

Old 02-19-15, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On all the ones I remember seeing, the nipple was molded onto the large plastic panel. Can you post a picture from a greater distance so we may see the whole front?

Old 02-19-15, 06:22 PM
Ok. Here's the top part of the furnace:

Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  34.1 KB

Here's the bottom:

Name:  IMG_2481.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  41.5 KB

And here's most of the whole thing:

Name:  IMG_2482.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  38.4 KB

If need be, I can probably get a pic from an even greater distance.

Old 02-19-15, 07:04 PM
The nipple is part of the collector box

You will have to buy the collector box and some high-temp (red) silicone. Use a shop vac to suck out the line and condensate trap. Get rid of the spring clamp and use a hose clamp.

Old 02-20-15, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi D.T. & welcome.

I suspected that was the case but thanks for confirming.
Hope you hang around & become a regular poster. We get a bit swamped at times & can certainly use all the help we can get anytime.

Old 02-20-15, 05:08 PM
Thanks a lot Grady and D.T..

I found a collector box here for about $49: Carrier 311213-403 Collector Box ~ I contacted someone from that site and asked if they had a compatible collector box for my specific Carrier furnace, and they gave me that above link.

Also, I was looking around online for some replacement instructions and I came across this: http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100.../58SX-31SI.pdf
Do any of u know if this would be the right one to follow?

Thanks again!

Old 02-20-15, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before ordering, verify that is the correct part for your furnace. Do a parts search for your model furnace. You may need additional gaskets as well.

Old 02-22-15, 12:20 PM
I hope this was ok to do, but since it wasn't leaking as much as before, I'm going to try a temporary fix first. I already applied some DAP Quick Seal Plus where the hose connects to the collector box (Perhaps there was something better I could have used for this application?). [ATTACH=CONFIG]47021[/ATTACH] The directions say to wait 24 hours before exposing to water and moisture, but I don't think I can wait that long. I'm thinking more like 12-16 hours or so since it's pretty cold here in Michigan. I do have a fan running directly on it to hopefully help dry it faster.

And if this doesn't work, do u guys think plumber's putty might work as a temporary fix?

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-15, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I would try something like an epoxy with a relatively quick dry time.

Old 03-04-15, 07:45 AM
On Feb. 22nd, (since I didn't have any epoxy on-hand), I tried the plumber's putty since the DAP Quik Seal only worked for a couple heating cycles (perhaps because I only waited about 5 hours after I applied it instead of 24 hours like the directions say), and so far, it's worked fantastic. No leaks or problems as far as I can tell for the last 10 days or so.

I guess I'll see how long this temp fix will last before I may purchase a new Collector Box.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-04-15, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Winter isn't over yet. I'd get the new collector box on it's way. I'm really suprised the plumber's putty was strong enough to support the twist on the hose. I guess you learn something everyday. Good Job.