Furnace keeps going out while house is still cold

Old 02-18-15, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace keeps going out while house is still cold

I originally posted this in another forum, but believe this is the correct one and I am reposting here (desperate for advice before I call a serviceman)

I have a hot water baseboard heating system with a gas furnace. 1 zone. The furnace stops heating after a while. The pilot light remains lit. I can get it going again by turning the thermostat down and back up. When I do cycle the thermostat I do hear a clicking sound at the furnace (is this the igniter?). They furnace seems to stop heating every night and every morning we wake to a cold house. Help!

......an hour later, more information.....after restarting furnace this morning by cycling thermostat, it shut off again. So, I recycled thermostat again and it restarted. I took the front cover off and sat and monitored it. The outlet pipe quickly got hot, the return with the circulating pump was somewhat cool. I watched the temp/pressure gauge. As the temp rose, the circulating pump must have turned on because the return pipes got hot. However, I cannot say the pump was working, I could not detect minor vibration in it to verify it was pumping, though I know it is subtle. The temp gauge rose to 170, pressure barely moved from 20 to 22 psi, at 170 degrees the furnace burner shutoff. The thermostat is still well below the setting. Hope this additional information helps you point me in the right direction. Its cold outside, and inside too!

[B]More Information[/B]: I’ve been sitting in front of the furnace watching it, it seems to be cycling properly, when the temp reaches 170 it shuts down and the damper closes, the circulating pump seems to keep running (light vibration detected when touching it), when the temp on the gauge drops to 150 the damper opens, and the burner reignites, the pump keeps running. I’ve observed this process three time now and it seems proper. THE QUESTION is why in the middle of the night why does the furnace temp drop and not reignite when the thermostat still indicates the house temp is far below the set temp? I’ll replace the thermostat anyway for good measure (fast and cheap) but the furnace seems to restart when I cycle the thermostat. I don’t know if I have a thermostat problem, or a furnace regulation problem. I think I have ruled out a bad circulating pump but I’m no expert. I repeat my plea for help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 4Ceesins; 02-18-15 at 04:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-15, 05:28 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
What model aquastat is on the boiler,do you know how to use a Multi meter?
Geo

Old 02-18-15, 05:54 AM
aquastat?

OK, I'm not sure what an aquastat is....but I do know how to use a multimeter.....FYI, I just replaced the thermostat since is was cheap and easy (2 wire, no AC). Just unplugged the year old Honeywell and plugged in a new one. Set the temp for 72 deg and so far, the furnace is cycling on and off and the circulating pump seems to be continually running. Hoping the thermostat was the problem.

But anyway, I'm eager to learn, so, what is an aquastat, on the left side of the furnace (Burnham mfr) when I remove the cover are two transformers, one seemingly connected to the circulating pump, and one connected to the main electrical coming in. There is also some mechanical device with a circular notched plate that has markings on it. Thanks for jumping in. Gene

Old 02-18-15, 06:07 AM
geochurchi,
OK, after googling aquastats, I think I found it....it seems to be the mechanical unit with a probe protruding into what I assume it the tank, it has a mechanical dial on it with the arrow pointing to 180.

MORE.......the only other controller type hardware is a Honeywell package with the two transformers mounted on it and the PN is R8285D-5001.
thx

Old 02-18-15, 06:38 AM
aquastat

geo,
after more googling, I believe the aquastat I have is a Burnham 100189-01. At least the pix on the parts supply website looks identical. Hope this helps. I won't know for hours if the thermostat R&R fixed the problem or not.

Old 02-18-15, 05:37 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
That would be a Hi limit control a safety device to shut the boiler off at a preset temp.the other Honeywell control is a fan center which holds a relay that is probably controlling a circulator.
Post some pic's of the boiler, if the Tstat didn't solve the problem.
P/S it's a boiler not a furnace,(boiling water= boiler)
Geo