Furnace filters: Probably very easy question

Old 02-19-15, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Furnace filters: Probably very easy question

So this is likely a very, very easy question to answer. However, as a first time homeowner with limited handiness, it's been driving me up the wall. I'm having a very hard time putting new air filters in my furnace.

BACKGROUND: I had a heating tech from the gas company come out to do an inspection on my 30 year old furnace. Apparently the previous homeowners last changed their filters years ago (gross), so the tech pulled the old ones out and showed me how to put the new filters in (since I didn't have replacements on-hand). I figured it would be a piece of cake to install the new ones, and perhaps it should have been.

I bought the new filters, same size and everything as the old ones. The furnace is set up where you put two filters in the intake pipe in a v shape, leaving no gaps for air to get by. However, those filters do not want to go in. The fit is so tight and it feels like there is something stopping them from going in all the way. I figured it was just crud that had built up, since crud was falling on my hands as I was trying to jam the things in (turns out it was fiberglass or something like that, as my wrists soon started to itch something awful).

Now I have the filters in, but I am not confident that they are placed in there properly without air gaps. I'm sure that they aren't. Does anybody have any tips on how to make this work? I don't want to call the tech back our for something as dumb as replacing an air filter. It's getting a little cold up here in Oregon without being able to run the heat.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 09:12 AM
Make sure the furnace is off when replacing filter's. It might make a little easier. My furnace is the same way, takes a little work to get them in there.

Old 02-19-15, 09:23 AM
Alright, I will keep working on it. I'm a little worried about destroying the filter by exerting too much brute force on it, but I will press on. How can one test if they are set up properly? I can tell the filters are in there and at some sort of angle, but it's really tough to tell if I have a good seal to keep air from slipping past the filter (especially on the right side, where a bunch of wiring makes it really tough to see what's going on back there).

Old 02-19-15, 09:40 AM
If you you can replace the filter covers with no problem, then you are OK.

Old 02-19-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Mine's a struggle as well - I've creased the cardboard frame many a time getting that thing in there.