Tank fuel lines, how low do you go?

Old 02-22-15, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tank fuel lines, how low do you go?

Years back my father replaced the fuel lines here after one of them became plugged. (We found there was 1/4 of a pencil in the end of the line somehow )

Anyway when he replaced them, he didn't use ridged lines, just flexible copper. Either he didn't put them in straight up and down or over the years they've been "swept aside" from fuel fillings (or a combination of both), to the point where I'm now running out of fuel with 13-15" left in the tank (500 gallon tank, so a lot of fuel).

In the spring/summer my plan is to do it over with the copper line inside ridged copper. My question is, how far off the bottom of the tank should the lines be? Is there an industry standard?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-15, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My old tech. manual(pmef) say both lines should be around 3" from the bottom.

Old 02-22-15, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I woud say 3" as a minimum especially if the tank does not have a bottom drain.
I will respectfully disagree about putting both lines the same depth. Suntec says to put the return 3-4" higher than the supply. See the last page of this installation manual. http://www.suntecpumps.com/PDFs/US%2...12-14%20CL.pdf

Old 02-23-15, 04:24 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pmef was going on the theory that if the feed line failed you could easier switch to the return as feed. Different strokes.

Old 02-23-15, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

But you got me thinking, I've a separate hot water heater (though I seldom use it anymore), so I have four lines. I forgot all about that. For the life of me I can't picture that second set going in the tank.... It's been a while. Guess I need more parts. At one point the lines were swapped and the HW heater lines were the lower of the two. I swapped them so If I ran out of fuel it would be the HW before the heat. Funny how typing brings back all these forgotten things.

Old 02-23-15, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pmef was going on the theory that if the feed line failed you could easier switch to the return as feed. Different strokes.
Not a thing wrong with that theory. Honestly, that's how I did it myself. Suntec's theory was to supposedly reduce the amout of air recirculated into the suction. If you don't an air leak it's a mute point. Last time I checked the fuel system was supposed to be air tight.