York furnace blower fan humming

Old 02-25-15, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy York furnace blower fan humming

Hi, please any help will be really appreciated. I have York Diamond 80 Furnace. Couple days ago, a weird noise sound came from the furnace blower fan. it disappeared later. It came again at night, and it was louder. I checked the basement and their was a 4 flashing red lights on the circuit board. Which suggested an open limit. Anyway, I check online and got some ideas that the capacitor went bad. The problem that I am facing along with the light code that the fan works some times when I turn the furnace on and off, but it shuts off. I tried this several times. This morning, I found that the fan is not working at all but is sounds loud humming noise and code presents again. To put you in the picture this what I did so far.

1- turned power off from the circuit board, replaced the capacitor and the fan worked for couple hours, then it stopped and the code came back 4 flashing lights.
2- I reset the open limit (A circular metal item with 2 cable and pipe), did not solve the problem.
3- I shout the power from the circuit board put the fan on run and turned the heat off, started the power to the furnace and the fan worked fine. Then, I turn the heat on and this gave me a heat with the fan on (ON not on Auto).
4- At night I turned the fan back to auto, and this morning I found that the fan stopped and start giving loud humming noise and the code got back.
5- turned power off again took the limit switch out cleaned it, heated it with hair dryer then put it in freezer for 10 minutes. After that I put it back
6- put the Fan on ON(Run) and the heat is off, turn the power on, and the fan started working. turned the heat to on. This worked for almost an hour. Then the fan shut off and started a humming noise again the 4 flashing code came back.

This is really frustrating situation. Can any one help me please.

Name:  furnace-lower.jpg
Views: 5874
Size:  48.8 KBName:  furnace-top.jpg
Views: 5283
Size:  44.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-15, 11:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You had a fifty-fifty chance the capacitor was bad. It wasn't. The blower motor is.
You'll need to replace the blower motor.
Your getting the four flash trouble code due to no airflow from a defective motor.

I have a similar furnace to that one. The blower motor is fairly easy to change.

Old 02-26-15, 04:55 AM
Bad Blower Motor?

Good Morning Pete;

Thank you. So, are you saying that both symptoms are caused by bad motor? So, there is no need to replace the limit switch first? Yesterday, I tried to bypass the thermostats by jumping W&R on the furnace circuit board, and the fan blower start working like a miracle. The blower motor in most cases works when I leave turn off power from the main circuit breaker on the wall, then shots down. So, do you still think it is a bad motor? Thanks

Old 02-26-15, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It seems to work fine with the the thermostat set to "fan on"?

Old 02-26-15, 08:02 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
By the look from this pic that filter look's really dirty,when was it replaced? That could be a cause for over temp situation.
Geo

Old 02-26-15, 10:26 AM
The filter is new... and now the fan is not working at all it only give a loud noise when I turn the power on.

Old 02-26-15, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
The fan is occasionally starting and running. Probably runs better when it's cold and you first start it. The system goes into lockout because the blower has stopped. The motor cools off. You go downstairs and reset the power which clears the board. The furnace restarts and so does the cool motor..... until it gets hot again.

Old 02-26-15, 12:58 PM
So, what do you think is the cause of this and how we fix it? Do you think the motor is bad? or the open limit? or something else maybe? By the way, when the motor cuts off, it never starts again on it own, I have to shot the power off from the wall circuit. Thanks Pete

Old 02-26-15, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
You said the motor sits there and hums. Since you changed the capacitor already...... that tells me that the motor is bad and needs to be replaced.