Draft Inducer Booster Motor Installation Help

Old 02-28-15, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Draft Inducer Booster Motor Installation Help

First time poster. Thanks in advance. Pictures at the bottom.

The inducer booster motor on my Coleman DGAA070BDTB Gas Furnace is (loudly) going bad. I am fairly confident I found the correct replacement part (DRAFT INDUCER BOOSTER ONETRIP PARTSŪ DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR COLEMAN - COLEMAN / EVCON FURNACE OEM PART S1-37319801821 - Replacement Household Furnace Ignitors - Amazon.com) and have it in hand.

I am fairly comfortable doing new DIY around the house but I don't want to mess up this job with Maryland suffering record low temperatures. I am unsure mechanically how I'm supposed to replace the existing motor. The connections are fairly simple - just two wires and two vacuum tubes.

It appears the booster motor needs to be removed by lifting it up. So I'm not sure removing the main blower is going to get me anything. It seems I need to raise the (exhaust) pipe that goes up to the top of the furnace. But it is rigid and there is no obvious way to get it out of the way.

The next thing I was going to try was to unbolt the top part of the cabinet and lift the top up to get the exhaust pipe high enough to pull the old booster out.

So two questions:
Is unbolting the top to lift the exhaust pipe up the correct approach?
Do the metal to metal connections (such as the exhaust pipe to the booster motor assembly) require any kind of tape or sealant?

Click on the pictures for larger images:

1. In which area you live and ambient temperatures you usually experience.
Maryland between Baltimore and DC.
2. House style and construction details.
Mobile home. 2006 Fleetwood.
3. Make, model and age of equipment related to the problem.
Furnace is around the same time. Model is Coleman 80% AFUE Gas Furnace - COLEMAN DGAA070BDTB GAS FURNACE
4. Fuel type.
Gas
5. Water temperature and pressures of boiler systems.
n/a
6. What type of zoning do you have with your boiler system.
n/a
7. Thermostat type
Ecobee3 smart thermostat

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-15, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Your post is approved...

Welcome to the forums... Someone will assist you shortly....

Old 02-28-15, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Nice pictures

I'd like to meet the rocket scientist who installed the draft inducer fan and motor inside the duct.

I've never changed one of those inducers before.

In looking at your pictures..... and referring to my diagram below..... I can see the tube is tack welded to the top plate where I have the red line. I don't think you can remove the top of the furnace to lift the pipe up but if you can see a way to do it..... do it.

Otherwise you will need to pull the screws out of the burner housing that I highlighted blue and drop that housing to get the draft inducer tube out. You would probably need to have high silicone on hand to re-seal that housing.

Name:  coleman.JPG
Views: 4989
Size:  37.0 KB

Old 03-01-15, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much PJmax. Your quick and detailed post really helped.

I need to look around at the top plate again and see if it's feasible to just lift it up after taking out the sheet metal screws. We are also considering hiring someone to do the install although I don't know if they would be willing to use the part I've already bought. I feel this is one of those projects where I can find a way eventually but someone who has done it many times knows all the gotchas and can avoid any inadvertent damage. I'm just worried that when I do try to light the top plate off I might cause problems with the other duct work up there.

Thanks!

Old 03-01-15, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Keep in mind that your gas supply company should have a repair support department. The gas companies have some good people working for them as they don't tolerate any employee insubordination or shenanigans.

Good luck and let me know how you make out and keep checking the thread to see if someone can offer any more help.

(I even looked in the service manual.... no help there)