Need help troubleshooting Comfortmaker APJ II

Old 04-25-15, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need help troubleshooting Comfortmaker APJ II

Woke up this morning to a 4 burner APJ II furnace that would not operate. Read through all the Posts below.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...ml#post2411610

The furnace would stay lite for 5 seconds and go out before the blower started.

I pulled the rubber hose off that runs between the inducer and the vacuum switch. The end that attached to the inducer was plugged into a rusty stub that appears to look like a corroded piece of wire. I pulled the excess corrosion off and reattached the wire and it magically started to work.

Any idea what I should be seeing when I pull the hose off the inducer. Don't believe I did anything that will keep this 20 year old furnace operating normally.

Last edited by lawrosa; 04-25-15 at 05:32 AM. Reason: added link to closed thread
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-15, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the burner actually runs for five seconds before shutting off than you don't likely have a pressure switch issue. It sounds more like you have a dirty flame sensor rod.

If you look at the burners.... you should see a thin metal rod that sits in the flame. It will glow red when burner is lit. You'd need to remove that rod via the single screw that holds it in place, disconnect the single wire and clean/polish the rod with steel wool or I like to use a scotch-brite pad. That rod needs to be shiny and clean.

Name:  rod.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  2.4 KB
(a typical example-may not be yours exactly)

If you don't see a flame rod then we'll need the actual model number or a picture of the burner area. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 01-04-17, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat. Please help. Comfortmaker gas furnace

Need help with Comfortmaker RPJ 2 gas furnace. Woke up and heat not working. Breaker in control panel was tripped so I turned on to see if furnace would kick on. Big spark came out of furnace control door. I found that the ignitor had burned up. Wires were burnt and ignitor was completely charred. Nothing else looked wrong. No other wires burnt or charred. Replaced ignitor with new one but when I kicked the furnace back on it immediately shuts off in a matter of seconds. The furnace will kick on and when the heat cycle tries to start the furnace just kicks off. No sparks no worrisome noises or anything it just immediately kicks off lie there is a short somewhere. Any thoughts?? The red indicator light does nothing but stay on. No blinking of anything. Just on. Please help

Old 01-04-17, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Can you give us a step by step account of what is happening?
For example - on a call for heat - the inducer motor starts; the igniter glows; the gas valve clicks on; the burners light; etc.