Blower turns on and off in Payne furnace

Old 05-05-15, 11:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blower turns on and off in Payne furnace

I have a (pain of a furnace) Payne furnace and when the temperature gets warm in the house the blower turns on for about 5-10 seconds and then off for about 5-10 seconds continuously. But sometimes it will stay on a little longer and off a little longer. But if I turn the thermostat up the furnace will still blow heat and work properly. The only way to stop the blower is to turn off the power switch beside the furnace but the nights are still getting too cool to turn the whole furnace off. Any ideas?

Old 05-05-15, 11:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is a temperature sensing stat in your furnace. It turns the blower on as the plenum heats up. It may no longer be operating in the proper temperature band.

Post the full model number for your furnace so we can check further.

Old 05-06-15, 02:17 PM
M
The model# is PG8MAA036110ACJA and the serial# is 3105A17985
But I was wrong. It's not the blower kicking on and off. I'm not sure if it's a fan or what? When I take the cover off there is a wheel toward the top left corner that spins when whatever motor kicks on. I keep the thermostat at 63 and when the house get around 70-75 the motor starts kicking on and off and I have to end up turning the power off to the whole furnace. Until the house gets to around 70-75 the furnace works fine. And when the house gets back down in the 60's the furnace works fine again.

Old 05-06-15, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
That is the draft inducer fan.
If that fan is starting then it means your thermostat is calling for heat.

Old 05-07-15, 05:37 AM
M
Could the thermostat be calling for the fan to start? It's a digital thermostat and has an option for heat, cool (but there is no ac), and fan. But if it's not calling for a fan are you saying the thermostat needs replaced, or?

Old 05-07-15, 10:24 PM
Group Moderator
In order for the draft inducer fan to start it means your thermostat is actually calling for the furnace to come on and heat..... nothing to do with the air circulation blower.

If this just started happening then I'd have to think it was a defective thermostat.

Old 05-07-15, 11:04 PM
M
No it's been happening since I bought the house about 5 years ago. I've just always run down and turned the power to the furnace off. So I assume I need a new thermostat. At least it's something I can fix myself. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: