gas valve wiring

Old 05-18-15, 05:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas valve wiring

Hi, long story short last year my ac unit outside would not turn off automatically and I figured out that the wiring was horribly wrong. I recently fixed the ac wiring to get that working but I'm confused with how the gas valve on my furnace should be wired.

The valve is wires correctly to the transformer but I removed the two wires that went to the thermostat so obviously the valve won't turn the gas on when I call for heat.

My question is how do I wire the valve to the thermostat? I know the th is for the thermostat. From what I read the th-tr is also used but I dont know what wires go where.

Really dont want to call someone to do this for me since it will probably take no time at all and would be a waste of money.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-15, 08:03 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
...and would be a waste of money.
Are you telling us that the safety of you and your loved ones is a waste of money? That is what it sounds like. The gas valve is NOT wired directly to the thermostat but is wired through a series of switches and often timing circuits to ensure SAFE operation. Most furnaces have their wiring diagram pasted on the back of the blower compartment door or on an inside panel near the burner assembly. They are often readily available on the Internet as well. You MUST follow the manufacturer's diagram EXACTLY to ensure safety.

Old 05-18-15, 11:37 AM
J
Of course the safety of my loved ones is priority but this is a do it yourself forum and I really just need to get the gas valve wired up. I'm an automotive mechanic with good electrical knowledge so I'm not worried about any dangers of doing this myself.

I forgot to look at the back of the cover but I'm not sure if its going to be there. The furnace is a 30+ year old Olsen. I haven't been able to find and diagrams for it and what ive found in general is the th is for the thermostat and the th-tr is common 24v. I just need to know which wires connect to it. I took two wires off to fix the ac wiring because it was so wrong.

The thermostat was wired wrong as well. It was wired for a heat pump which I dont have.

Before I re wired the ac the gas valve wiring was a black wire from th-tr to the thermostat and a white wire from th to W on the furnace. Also had an orange wire from the thermostat to the W on the furnace too.

Old 05-18-15, 12:14 PM
S
The black wire was go directly to the stat? What terminal on the stat was the black wire going to?

Old 05-18-15, 03:37 PM
J
Black was going to B. The orange wire, which is actually supposed to be yellow from the ac was going to the O on the t stat to the W on the furnace.

Old 05-18-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
In order for us to help you we need to know what thermostat you are using and what wires you currently have connected.

You don't have a heatpump so you shouldn't be using B or O.

Old 05-19-15, 03:54 AM
J
I'm aware I dont have a heat pump and ive already wired the thermostat up proper ( w, y, g, r ). Thermostat is a Honeywell and ac works fine now. Need gas valve to work proper now.

Old 05-19-15, 05:51 PM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Unless you have a 70 year old furnace the gas valve is totally separate from the thermostat. There is normally a controller board that everything connects to. Please post a picture of the furnace electrical connections to give us a clue as to what is there.

FYI - 30 year old Olsen furnace pics and diagram. Gas valve connects to control module.
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....nt-functioning

Old 05-20-15, 03:14 AM
J
Will do. Looks nothing like those pictures though.

Pretty busy lately so i probably won't get to it for a day or two.

Old 05-20-15, 04:54 PM
J

So if I remember correct when I re wired the ac and thermostat. The black wire from the B on the thermostat went to one terminal Th or th-tr and the white from the thermostat W went to the other terminal. So ive removed both and now the white goes to the w on the furnace.
Black does nothing now.

What I need to know is which wires fr the control board go to the gas valve and where. The diagram I found doesn't help me much.

Old 05-21-15, 07:01 AM
J
I posted pictures but it says the moderator has to approve them.

Olsen furnace model number has130a

Found a wiring diagram but doesn't say which wires go to the gas valve. Shows two wires from the thermostat to the valve. No description at all.

Old 05-23-15, 10:20 AM
A
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
As far as thermostat and a/c you have a standard hookup. Furnace and A/C wiring diagram. You stated that you were using just WYGR but also mentioned O and B. Whomever goofed it up before you may have thought it was a heat pump so make sure that the thermostat is set for a gas system.

No wires should be going from the RWCYG terminals to the gas valve - all that normally connects on the other side of the board behind the cover. Check behind the cover for additional connections that would go to the gas valve.

Take a look at page 4 of http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume.../0037-7349.pdf - Though if you hook it up like this you could be bypassing some of the safety systems.

Old 05-23-15, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
I've reposted an easier to see picture of your circuit. If that circuit is correct then IT supplies the 24vac for the gas valve. The safeties are in the 24vac line to the gas valve.

Name:  gas valve wiring.jpg
Views: 5827
Size:  46.3 KB

You would need to connect your thermostat wiring to the R and W terminals I marked. That means there will not be a jumper between the R/Rc terminals on your thermostat. You need two dedicated wires from your stat. Looking at your wiring picture.... you may be short a conductor from the stat location which is probably what caused the confusion.

Name:  gas valve.jpg
Views: 4536
Size:  40.1 KB

No wires should be going from the RWCYG terminals to the gas valve - all that normally connects on the other side of the board behind the cover.
Normally that is correct but it would appear that the fan center was installed at a later date and is not part of the original furnace design.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-24-15 at 11:54 AM. Reason: update picture
Old 05-23-15, 07:01 PM
J
Ok so I can just use the black wire that isn't being used at the t stat and go from rh to th-tr and the white wire from the t stat to the th terminal? What about the W on the control board? Not needed in this situation?

Old 05-23-15, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think it's connected to anything in your case. Wire it like I posted and test it for proper operation. Your blower will operate when the plenum comes up to temperature.

Since there are two transformers in the picture here.... make sure the R jumper on the t'stat is removed.

Old 05-24-15, 04:57 AM
J
Will do. I'll try this out today and let you know what happens. Thanks.

Old 05-24-15, 07:08 AM
J
My thermostat has rc not rh so I connected it up the way you said using rc removed the jumper from r and rc and the gas valve did not open. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-24-15, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
So you used W and R at the thermostat.

Have you tried a direct short at the W and Rh terminals I listed at the gas valve ?

Old 05-24-15, 09:29 AM
J
I have not tried shorting the gas valve yet. I will now that you mentioned it. I did not use R at the thermostat. I thought you ment leave the R how it is ( t stat to control board R ) take the jumper out and connect rc to the gas valve ?

Old 05-24-15, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
When you remove the R jumper you split the thermostat for heating and cooling with two transformers. The cooling side or in this case your fan center will use the Rc terminal. The other one is used for heat with the W terminal.

Old 05-24-15, 11:12 AM
J
So did I wire it the way you said to or do I need to use R on the th-tr terminal?

Old 05-24-15, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Yes..... you need TWO wires from the thermostat to the gas valve.

Old 05-24-15, 11:47 AM
J
Ok. I understand what you were saying now. Rh = r heat and rc is cooling. I removed the jumper in the thermostat.

Rc goes to the r on the control board
Rh or R to the th-tr on the valve
I did hook the w from the thermostat to the control boars and then from the control board to the the on the valve. I'm not sure if this is correct but everything works now.

Old 05-24-15, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
I don't recommend the W to be connected to the control board. If it works without being connected to the board then leave it off the board.

Old 05-24-15, 02:42 PM
J
Ok. I'll try that out. I'm sure it will work that way too.
Here's a picture of my house because I wired the gas valve myself.